Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door Leak!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same damn leak i had. dealer tried to fix it 4 or 5 times and never got it fixed
Old 05-06-2009, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my top it looks like the problem is that the door seals do not make a good seal with the top when it is tucked into the door channel. At the very front of the top near the windshield water gets in then runs down the door until it gets about half way then drips in.

Again I just leave the top un-tucked from the door frame and no leaks, rained all night not a drop. When i used to tuck it in the frame i would get puddles.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by drumnatural
...Now my question is why is that piece of foam even there? It doesn't appear to even have a real purpose.
My guess is that the foam is just a stopgap - to soak up the initial leak we all seem to experience and contain it before it's noticeable; unfortunately rain tends to last more than two minutes, all roads aren't completely flat, yadda, yadda, yadda... Chrysler engineering has certainly come a long way, huh?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

left leg about a 15 second stream when I close the door and an occasional DRIp not too bad but come on
Old 05-06-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Silly putty and electric tape

This should fix it. Do a search on leak and someone did it wiht Silly putty.

Mine leaked the same spot, but with this silly putty and electric tape taped over, it's been dry.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:37 AM
JK Super Freak

why the hell would you use silly putty?

there are about 2 million or threads about this. washer fix or foam fix is your friend
Old 05-06-2009, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
why the hell would you use silly putty?

there are about 2 million or threads about this. washer fix or foam fix is your friend

I dont' know. Someone came up with an idea and it worked so posted here. I tried it, too and it worked.

Whatever it is, I hope people don't have to deal with this stupid leak.

Last edited by katsumotology; 05-06-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I forget who it was on here that did it but take a piece of epdm rubber weatherstrip and run it from the front of that rubber seal on the windshield pillar all the way to the end of the rubber seal there is a indent there that you will see. The problem is the door weatherstrip does not close tight enough where the top edge of the weather strip meets the rubber seal on the door surround and cause the water to run behind the weather strip. I will attach a picture that i did from using yours please excuse the CRUDE ms paint instructions i did it quickly but you get the idea from it.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

that would be me.... search: I Fixed my fuggin leaky top

Quick Reply: Door Leak!!!