Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door Leak!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Leak!!!

Look at this picture please, i have a leak and if anyone could help me how to solve this, since i live in a very rainy city all year....
thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LEAK.jpg
Views:	4220
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	23618  
Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen a few threads on this and have the same problem. I brought it to the dealer a few times and they replaced some seals with no success. What i have found is if i don't tuck the top into the door frame over the door it doesn't leak. This is also one less thing to worry about when taking the top down or putting it up. It might make the top a little louder, but i haven't seen any adverse effects yet. just my $0.02
Old 05-05-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

both of my sides leak as well same thing and I have an 08
Old 05-05-2009, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Is the water pooling around the tweeter?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryanc
Is the water pooling around the tweeter?
no, just in my leg and i get to my house with my pants all wet jejejje
Old 05-05-2009, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Many of us have this leak, myself included. I have tried lots of stripping, plugging and stuffing, in various locations, but I still haven't found a permanent fix.

Welcome to Jeep ownership!
Old 05-05-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by tento0929
Look at this picture please, i have a leak and if anyone could help me how to solve this, since i live in a very rainy city all year....
thanks
Not that it will solve your (read:our ) problem, but from the picture the weather seal just forward of the "foam tape" is folded under your door surround, which most certainly is making things worse for you (I'll try to find a picture to illustrate what I'm trying to say)

If this helps, when the door surround is properly seated against the windshield/rollbar mount<?>, the weather strip kinda "cups" around the forward part of the door surround; with it folded under as in your pic, it become a (better ) conduit for rain water to enter the cabin.

<EDIT> I can't locate any pictures at the moment, but if you look at that bulge of rubber with the large drop of water hanging from it, this is where the weather seal is rolled under the door surround - you may be able to work it free by just loosening the hand screws above the door surround.

Last edited by Jason08JK; 05-05-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your rubber mucket is installed improperly. It is tucked under near the foam. You should fix that.

It probably won't make any difference though. It seems door leaks are the way of the JK. It is extremely common.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me it only happens when my jeep is undriven for a few days in the rain. If u look right above where the water actually hits the handle of the door you'll see that piece of foam. The foam is saturated with water.

That foam is what's channeling the water right down.

Now my question is why is that piece of foam even there? It doesn't appear to even have a real purpose.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know it's not a solution, but I throw a chamois on the top of my door handles when it's raining. This stops the water from splashing all over the seat and dash.

Quick Reply: Door Leak!!!