Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door hinges...paint is bubbling.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door hinges...paint is bubbling.

I have a 2007 Rubicon. I know the hinges are aluminum, but those can oxidize too.....and they seem to be doing just that under the paint! About 50% are showing bubbling of the paint and it's really beginning to grate on my nerves (never mind the tree branch scratches and dings on the doors ).

Anyhow, I'll be removing them soon to bedline them....mostly because of this prob.

Just curious if Im alone or if its a common prob.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I as well as many others have had this problem. I think it is fairly common, especially since there is no paint underneath the hinges and it is steel on aluminum.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:10 AM
JK Jedi

Mine are starting to show signs to. I think the bedlining is the solution.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Others have this prob too, look here

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ghlight=hinges
Old 08-23-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

I have an "08" and haven't noticed anything yet, only been thru one full Winter. Wondering if anybody else with an "08" has this happening, and if year matter's. Being a former "CJ" owner I remember having to deal with this. Spent a small fortune on Stainless Steel hinges and wasn't all that crazy about the look back then. And I'm sure they'd make a "JK" look like puke.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

i have an 07 Rubi, and all 4 doors have the paint bubbling on the hinges, nothing major, but its there, i think it might be covered under warrenty, so you might want to check on that.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think people have got it covered under warranty befor so I think it can be done. I however am not going to do this as it will probably just happen again, they wont go to the level of detail that I will, and anytime a vehicle goes to the dealer you risk something else getting screwed up in the process I will be bedlining mine when I get a chance. Hopefully the paint wont fall off completely until then.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

This is a fairly common problem. Mine started bubbling bad at what seems like 15k miles. I bedlined mine:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/my-bedline-door-hinges-89173/
Old 08-23-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same thing happening to my 08 Sahara. If you've got less than 36,000 miles on the Jeep you could probably still get it covered under warranty. Problem is the hinge sets are on national back order and only God knows when they'll ship again...

Quick Reply: Door hinges...paint is bubbling.