Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door hinges

Old 05-14-2009, 06:22 AM
TMC
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door hinges

Does anybody else have bad chipping and rust problems on there door hinges? Does anybody know of any replacement hinges that are more "durable" or take the abuse better?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

i thought i saw black covers on quadratec
here it is
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13009_201.htm
Old 05-14-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

You don't say how old or what mileage, but if your still within warranty you may want to take it to dealer. Read on here not to long ago of someone getting their's replaced.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Yep.

Like every Jeep ever made had chipping and rust between the top and bottom hinge parts. Put some grease on it. Its part of having exposed metal hinges. On every other vehicle in the world, you don't see it, but they're just as nasty.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 AM
TMC
JK Enthusiast

I have already had it to the dealer for a fix last year. it happend again.
I have an 07 with 60k on it. the body man that works on it for the dealer is my neighbor and he said that even if I repaint it it will happen again. his only thought was to put some different hinges on it that is annodized or something along that line.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try getting new ones and painting them with the duplicolor linex stuff. Someone else on the forum did it. They look real nice. Won't chip nearly as bad.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:44 PM
JK Newbie

In the Uk this is a recognised fault and dealer will replace. On mine the paint starting bubbling on my JK 6 months after I bought it!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've noticed bubbling on my hood hinges, and rust stains on the door hinges.
I figure on taking them off and having them media-blasted and either powder coated or Line-X.
are they aluminum or steel hinges?
Should I try to do the job myself, rather than pay someone to media blast them, and if so, what is the easiest way to strip the paint/remove the corrosion?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure they are aluminum. I guess I am lucky. I have never had a problem with rust on my hinges on any Wrangler I've owned. 7. I do grease the pin when I remove the doors every now and then.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by InTheMist
Like every Jeep ever made had chipping and rust between the top and bottom hinge parts. Put some grease on it. Its part of having exposed metal hinges. On every other vehicle in the world, you don't see it, but they're just as nasty.
Sorry to quote myself but you're really talking about the BUBBLING paint - thats not my experience at all. Should have it looked at. Ok, my Jeeps were mostly in Texas and we don't salt the roads in our area.

Quick Reply: Door hinges