Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

door hinges

Old 03-15-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door hinges

Tried everything doors won't budge is there a nut holding on the door hinge to the frame or can I just take them out
Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

There's a Torx bolt on the bottom of the hinge that needs removing first....
Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you trying to remove the doors, hinges or both?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youtube is fun place to start for lots of stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u-_k8zpFaA

only difference, I would roll the windows down first, just smart added protection for the glass

If you have already removed the black torx nut holding the doors on from the underside of each door hinge and they are still stuck, you can use a jack and a board or some other type of protection to very slowly lift the doors off using pressure, very slow and soft protection, otherwise you risk bending the door edge and the door falling. (recommend 2 people the first time as it can be hard and could surprise you, then you have a dropped door).

After they are off, check the bushing (black plastic coating inside), if it looks thrashed inside, need to replace them. Magnitude Engineering has preplacement bushings that replace the metal bushings from factory, and your life will forever be easier. or if you dont want or need to replace the bushings, grease them up and your good to go.

Last edited by RedOffRoad; 03-15-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok thanks guys I was alone so I didn't test my luck with the jack and the torx bolts are removed about a can and a half of wd40 so I just thought if I could remove the hinge completly with the door it would give me a better chace of getting the dang hinges apart
Old 03-15-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PB blaster works better then wd40, penetrates better, spray up from underneath, let it soak a bit, move doors back and forth to grease them up. see if you can move them up a little, if you can spray the exposed part soak it well let sit, spray again, push down again to get penetration inside the hinge. then just work it.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

have you tried opening the door all the way out like swing it almost to the fender and lift it up? mine won't budy unless the door is like way open, but once the door is fully open they slide right out

Quick Reply: door hinges