Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door Hinge Removal

Old 02-13-2008, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Hinge Removal

Has anyone removed there door hinges yet? On one of my rear doors the Hinge bracket on the body was installed to low, so there is 1/4 gap between the hinge parts. I think this is causing a thumping noise when I hot a large bump. I was thinking about loosening the hinge on the body and moving it up, but I am not even sure if Jeep paints behind them? I could take it back to the dealer, but i hate to do that if I can fix it myself.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

i say take it to the dealer and have them fix that while they fix your latches which is where the thump is coming from most likely, good luck and i hope this helps
Old 02-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Former Member

X2 and you don't want to be painting behind those hinges if you take them off when you didn't need to.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Update, The service department told me that they had to completely replace the hinges (both). So they finally got the parts in and today I picked it up. A kid from the local vo-tech could have done a better paint job, and they did not even paint behind the hinges that they removed off the doors. You can see the unpainted metal around the edges of the new poorly painted new hinges. They also gaulded up the paint very badly on the all the hinge mounting bolts, both the inside ones and the torx on the outside.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:58 AM
Former Member

I pretty much saw this coming with all the talk of people wanting to change out their hinges even on other threads.
Sounds like your dealer is the same as mine where they don't have their own bodyshop. Could be they figured they'd just touch up the paint with a spray can.
You already know it's time to head back there and get a loaner machine while they send it to someone that is competant to do the job right.
Good luck.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stand your ground. If they F'ed it up make sure they fix it the right way...
Old 04-18-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

I am meeting the Body Shop manager today to take a look. The door is loose and does not even close right. The real problem here is, they already F'ed it up, do I really want to let them get there hands back on it again?
Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see that you're in North East, PA ...

It wasn't Cunningham's by chance, was it?

I used to live in Erie, and they did TERRIBLE body work on my Jeep Cherokee.

Their body shop is a joke ... My door seal made a noise going down the highway -- they clearcoated over the "Cherokee Country" decal ... paint had a gradient effect looking at the side of the vehicle. They are hacks ...

If that is the body shop that did the work, I am sorry to hear it ...

I live in Pittsburgh now, and a very competent body shop called Wolbert's down here ended up replacing the whole passenger door and repainting the entire passenger side -- it all went back on my insurance because of the shoddy body work that Cunningham's did.

Quick Reply: Door Hinge Removal