Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door hinge question (yeah, I broke it)

Old 06-02-2010, 02:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door hinge question (yeah, I broke it)

Well, after a little top/doors off weekend, I was putting everything back on and apparently...I broke off the thread on the passenger side bottom door hinge. Not stripped mind you, it broke off inside the nut. Now, first question...is this an issue? Ive still got the top one on. I know the door isnt going anywhere, but it still kinda bugs me. And secondly, where might i find a replacement?

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:26 AM
JK Super Freak

you mean just the part that the nut threads to and not the entire pin. if this is the case then your fine. i haven't put the nuts back on since my doors came off for the first time 3 years ago
Old 06-02-2010, 02:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JdTms11
you mean just the part that the nut threads to and not the entire pin. if this is the case then your fine. i haven't put the nuts back on since my doors came off for the first time 3 years ago

Yeah, not the whole pin, just the tip containing the threads. I thought I remembered reading where people just left them off also, but wanted to check and make sure.

Who'd a thunk though? I didn't even think it was that tight, and then clunk, off it came.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:42 AM
JK Super Freak

yeah, if you start making it a regular thing, removing the doors, you'll understand why allot of us on here didn't bother to put them back on.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

ive had my screws out for 6 months before with no issues. as long as the doors latched its not going anywhere.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X4 on not bothering with it. Unless you can't stop thinking about it . Mine came off 3/24/07 and have been in a plastic bag labeled "'07 JK door nuts" ever since.

I don't know where you can get replacements...sponsors, any suggestions?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

all the jeeps ive owned I only ever used to put the nuts back on my 97 TJ because full metal doors were a hot commodity then(most 97s came with half doors).. but the rest.. the nuts came off the first doors off and never went back on...

with most all of the JK's built having full metal doors i would not worry about someone stealing the doors... the doors are recessed into the frame when closed so in the event of an accident they are not going to fly off unless the latch lets go....

I see many many jeeps parked with no nuts on the bottom of the door hinges....

-Christopher
Old 06-02-2010, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKMudder
Well, after a little top/doors off weekend, I was putting everything back on and apparently...I broke off the thread on the passenger side bottom door hinge. Not stripped mind you, it broke off inside the nut. Now, first question...is this an issue? Ive still got the top one on. I know the door isnt going anywhere, but it still kinda bugs me. And secondly, where might i find a replacement?

Thanks for the info.
I don't put mine on. They are not going anywhere
Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

I too have been "nutless" since I got my Jeep in Jan 07...
Old 06-03-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

It happened to mine on passenger side both hinge pins about a month ago. check one of my ole thread to get more info. I'm not sure about yours but I went to dealer and explain them that this is a safety issue and they replaced it under warranty for free. I had to leave the Jeep for a day and half for them to paint the new pins to factory color. so I'd try the dealer route first and tell them it's a common problem because the metal on the thread area is soft and since it is "safety " issue it should be covered under warranty.

Quick Reply: Door hinge question (yeah, I broke it)