Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door hinge pin seized to body hinge...

Old 06-24-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm strongly considering going through Qtec and getting a replacement body hinge (MOPAR 55395386AE - MOPAR® Passenger Side Upper Body Door Hinge for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec), replacement door hinge (Crown Automotive 55395385AC - Driver Side Front or Rear Door Hinge for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec), and a can of MOPAR Jeep Green spray paint.

For under $100 this would save me the headache of going through a dealership and the sorrow of bashing my mallet into the side of my door trying to get this damn body-hinge loose.

What do you all think?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Elmer1280
So I was able to get every door off EXCEPT the driver's door. Greased the hell out of the hinge holes for those I was able to remove. The driver's door... ugh.... I tried for days to get this thing off. Finally, I decided to remove the top hinge from the body. Once I did that, the bottom pin slipped right out as it's supposed to. I took the door inside and started working on removing the body-hinge portion. Unfortunately, this didn't happen. The pin is no longer seated in the door-hinge. It spins freely with the body-hinge and will likely fall right out if I'm ever able to remove the body-hinge. I tried tapping (beating) the body-hinge with a mallet, using a punch from the bottom of the pin, PB blaster soak upside down, etc.. Nothing is working. At this point I'm at a loss. I figured once I took the door off the Jeep I could just knock the body-hinge off the pin then get them cleaned up and lubed... no such luck. I don't know what I should do now. It looks like my only option is to take it to a dealership but I don't even know that they'd be able to get the body-hinge off. It appears I need to replace the entire goddamn hinge assembly.
That sucker is really stuck on there!

You might want to get the whole hinge off the door. Clamp it in a bench vise (with some protection) and heat it up a bit.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jiblet
That sucker is really stuck on there!

You might want to get the whole hinge off the door. Clamp it in a bench vise (with some protection) and heat it up a bit.

It really is! I was sure I'd be able to get it off fairly easily with the door off the Jeep, but man is that thing stuck.

You're right, it's definitely worth a try clamping it in a bench vise and heating/beating it before ordering the replacement hinges.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to replace the hinge, try here before you spend $100!
http://www.daveysjeeps.com/specials.html
Old 06-24-2014, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by neZZr
If you're going to replace the hinge, try here before you spend $100!
D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Parts Specials
Oh man, glad you posted that. Looks like Davey has JK hinges for $15 apiece!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Ugh, spoke too soon. None in stock. Guess I'll make a trip out to the local scrap yard and hope for the best.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

I'm strongly considering going through Qtec and getting a replacement body hinge (MOPAR 55395386AE - MOPAR® Passenger Side Upper Body Door Hinge for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec), replacement door hinge (Crown Automotive 55395385AC - Driver Side Front or Rear Door Hinge for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec), and a can of MOPAR Jeep Green spray paint.

For under $100 this would save me the headache of going through a dealership and the sorrow of bashing my mallet into the side of my door trying to get this damn body-hinge loose.

What do you all think?
I had the exact same problem as you, except with my front passenger door - lower hinge. Every time I took the doors off, I just unbolted door hinge from the door and secured the loose flapping hinge to where the nylon strap from the door hooks on to, so that it wouldn't swing out and hit the body.

Did that for awhile until recently when I finally fixed it! I just bought the door hinge and not the body hinge. In order for me to remove the pin from the body hinge, I used slip joint pliers to grab around the 'head' of the pin. Took a lot of grip and a lot of twisting, some hammering with a flat head screwdriver, but I was finally able to get it loose from the body hinge. I ordered that same hinge (except from 4wd.com: Crown Automotive Part 55395384AC - Door Hinge - Fits 2007 to 2014 Jk Wrangler and Unlimited - 4 Wheel Drive ), painted it and bolted it back to the door. All is well now!

Let me know if I wasn't clear enough or if you have any other questions.

Last edited by BSDeez16; 06-24-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info BSDeez, it does sound like you had the exact same issue. I struggled with the hinge last night for awhile trying to grip the pin "head" with some slip joint pliers and twist off the body hinge but all I did was chip the remaining paint on the head and mar up the head and the hinge. I'm definitely going to give it another shot before shelling out the $60 for a replacement body hinge. How exactly did you use the flat head screwdriver when getting the pin unstuck? I'll take any suggestions I can at this point!

Ordered a used door hinge on ebay for $6 and a can of Jeep Green spray paint so all I need is the body hinge and I'll be good to go.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info BSDeez, it does sound like you had the exact same issue. I struggled with the hinge last night for awhile trying to grip the pin "head" with some slip joint pliers and twist off the body hinge but all I did was chip the remaining paint on the head and mar up the head and the hinge. I'm definitely going to give it another shot before shelling out the $60 for a replacement body hinge. How exactly did you use the flat head screwdriver when getting the pin unstuck? I'll take any suggestions I can at this point!

Ordered a used door hinge on ebay for $6 and a can of Jeep Green spray paint so all I need is the body hinge and I'll be good to go.
I used the flat head screwdriver and a hammer. I hammered from underneath to try and loosen it up a bit. Alternated between hammering from underneath and trying to twist using the pliers. Once I got a little gap between the pin and the body hinge, I hammered the tip of the screwdriver into the gap and tried prying it...broke a couple screwdriver heads doing this.

I just kept alternating with the hammering and the twisting with the pliers and it finally started to come loose. Once you get some sort of rotation out of the pin, you should be golden. Yeah, the head of the pin was pretty beat up by the time I was done.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Ok that makes sense. I might as well beat up the pin head some more since it'll be replaced anyway. The main thing here is trying to recover the body hinge since I already ordered the replacement door hinge. I'm going to do exactly what you did and hope for the best haha. Thanks again for the info, I've been searching and searching and until now I could not find a single person with the same issue. Glad to know I'm not alone!

Quick Reply: Door hinge pin seized to body hinge...