Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door hinge pin seized to body hinge...

Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Elmer1280
So I recently bought an '08 JKU and want to take the doors off. I was able to get the passenger door off easily. The driver door on the other hand will not budge. Every single hinge pin on the Jeep spins freely with the hinge attached to the door, except the top hinge pin on the driver door. That pin does not spin with the door making me think it's somehow seized to the hinge attached to the body. There is a gap in the paint between the top of the pin and the hinge from where the paint cracked due to not spinning with the door. I can get a video posted to youtube if this description doesn't make sense. I tried lifting with 2, even 3 full grown men to no avail. I tried using a floor jack with a 2x4.. also a no-go. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I don't want to remove the doors with the hinges attached if at all possible so as not to screw up the hinge alignment. Is this something a dealer can help me with? If they're even able to get the door off, will I need to replace the seized hinge pin? I've searched this forum along with just about the entire internet and haven't found any cases like this, so I'm a bit lost as to what to do next. Any advice is appreciated.
Seems the hinge barrels may be misaligned.

On that one tough hinge, open the door and use a sharpie to outline the hinge bolted to the frame.
The loosen those bolts.

That should free up the binding. Then re tighten in the new position. Compare to original markings.

Doors are adjustable in all three dimensions. Takes a good eye to spot misalignments.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a sticky door this year and sprayed the heck out of it with break free clp. Worked great.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Stevepoz
I had a sticky door this year and sprayed the heck out of it with break free clp. Worked great.
But were any of your hinge pins seized to the body hinge and not moving/spinning freely with the door hinge?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jiblet
Seems the hinge barrels may be misaligned.

On that one tough hinge, open the door and use a sharpie to outline the hinge bolted to the frame.
The loosen those bolts.

That should free up the binding. Then re tighten in the new position. Compare to original markings.

Doors are adjustable in all three dimensions. Takes a good eye to spot misalignments.

It's worth a shot. I'll give it a try later tonight.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Just ordered a set of the delrin bushings.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to remove the door from the Jeep in order to get these damn hinges apart. Any tips on removing the door/hinges so as to not royally screw up the alignment?

I'll be taking Jiblet's suggestion of marking the position of the hinge attached to the body before removing. I'll then remove the door and hinge assembly from the body. I'll then (hopefully) be able to get the hinges apart using a mallet and various punches. Remove the old bushings (I'm sure this is easier said than done). Polish all the corroded surfaces. Install delrin bushings. Reinstall the hinge to the frame using the sharpie marks made in the first step. (Hopefully) drop the door into place. All this sound kosher?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just ordered a set of the delrin bushings. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to remove the door from the Jeep in order to get these damn hinges apart. Any tips on removing the door/hinges so as to not royally screw up the alignment? I'll be taking Jiblet's suggestion of marking the position of the hinge attached to the body before removing. I'll then remove the door and hinge assembly from the body. I'll then (hopefully) be able to get the hinges apart using a mallet and various punches. Remove the old bushings (I'm sure this is easier said than done). Polish all the corroded surfaces. Install delrin bushings. Reinstall the hinge to the frame using the sharpie marks made in the first step. (Hopefully) drop the door into place. All this sound kosher?
That's exactly how I got my passenger door off the first time. Except once I loosened the bolts at the door frame the pressure released and the pin magically slipped in and out no problem.

If it's misaligned, then cracking loose those bolts relieves the strain and maybe the pin is ok.

But if it is a bad pin, then you have those sharpie marks to easily get you back to alignment.

I switched to delrin bushings during my third year with my 08. Great stuff, that delrin!

Good luck. Enjoy!

Btw if you do have a bent pin, it is separable from the barrels (I've read on the forum).
Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take the bottom nut off and spray WD40 up in to the hole......let it sit.....should come out smooth tomorrow........
Old 06-18-2014, 04:04 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the tips guys. I didn't have a chance to work on the door last night so I figure I might as well wait until the delrin bushings get delivered. Although I may take another crack at it this weekend if I have some time. I'll definitely post back and let you all know how it turns out.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Did the hinge pin pop out of the hinge piece attached to the door when you tapped it with the mallet? I actually tried using a punch and tapping it a bit but didn't want to hit it too hard and mess it up even more. Maybe using a little more force would work.
I don't think it did. I just gave each pin a couple taps on the bottom. Slowly worked the door up.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

So I was able to get every door off EXCEPT the driver's door. Greased the hell out of the hinge holes for those I was able to remove.

The driver's door... ugh.... I tried for days to get this thing off. Finally, I decided to remove the top hinge from the body. Once I did that, the bottom pin slipped right out as it's supposed to. I took the door inside and started working on removing the body-hinge portion. Unfortunately, this didn't happen. The pin is no longer seated in the door-hinge. It spins freely with the body-hinge and will likely fall right out if I'm ever able to remove the body-hinge.

I tried tapping (beating) the body-hinge with a mallet, using a punch from the bottom of the pin, PB blaster soak upside down, etc.. Nothing is working.

At this point I'm at a loss. I figured once I took the door off the Jeep I could just knock the body-hinge off the pin then get them cleaned up and lubed... no such luck. I don't know what I should do now. It looks like my only option is to take it to a dealership but I don't even know that they'd be able to get the body-hinge off. It appears I need to replace the entire goddamn hinge assembly.

EDIT: And, as if this all wasn't bad enough, I got a nice cowl dimple last night while messing with the damn door.

Last edited by Elmer1280; 06-24-2014 at 06:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Door hinge pin seized to body hinge...