Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door help

Old 02-17-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door help

ok so I removed my front 2 doors today for the first time since it was soo nice.... the driver's door came off without any issues.... but the passenger door seemed to be stuck on something.... it took both the wife and I, half a can of WD40 and a boatload full of choice words to get it off.... once off there was this black gunk stuff that had metal shavings in it and was hard as a rock on the top hinge..... then I went to put the doors back on and it too another half a can of WD40 and a whole lot of choice words to get the door back on.... ended up just opening and closing the door until it settled itself....

Anyone have any idea as to what could be causing that and should I head to the dealer on Saturday to see if I can get a new set of hinges for the passenger door? Or is there something else I can do????
Old 02-17-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine stick like that too. Have to pull strait up or they bind. Lately they have started rusting in there too. I have a 07. I just clean them really good when they are off, clean out the hinge hole with a rag strip and screwdriver to push it through and the white lithium grease when ever I can

Last edited by jcs07jk; 02-17-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Instead of WD-40, try SFR or I think it's called Protecta now. It actually soaks into the metal and will also clean all that gunk out.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try putting a 2x4 under the door and using a jack next time to make it budge, Clean it out well and put a lot of white grease on the pin before you put it back on, clean it out anytime it gunks up and you wont have that problem any longer.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the quick responses... I'll give those a shot the next time I go to take them off... might be a bit since its supposed to cool down a bit again...
Old 02-17-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

lol, I wasn't the only one with this problem! After having mine off an on a bunch of times they loosened up a little
Old 02-17-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

It's not really the opening and closing that is wearing these out and making them sticky, it's that they are constantly moving and shaking as you drive down the road.

WD40 and any other light spray is the wrong lube for this. Lithium grease sprayed on a rag and wiped on is the best thing. Careful not to spray LG on the hinge it's self and let dry on your paint, is doesn't come off paint well. Axle grease would work as well.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

wow i dident realize people put that much work into your doors. mines a 08 and i have never had a problem, i dont even screw in the bottom screws to lock the doors in.

Quick Reply: Door help