Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Door Dents

Old 05-13-2007, 09:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really can not make out the dents you guys are talking about, but I happened to be talking to a friend of mine who has been a jeep guy for a long time about this last night. He was saying that sometimes the straps on the rear doors were not being attached properly at the factory, or came unattached at some point. When the door is pushed open and the door not held onto, it swings forward and hits the front door. Do the dents on your front doors match where the rear doors would hit is unstrapped? Or was my buddy full of it.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

No, I would say its definetly a stress issue around the front hinges. I have the dent (more of a wave) only on the driver's side. Maybe becuase its used more? Not sure.

Its not an impact dent.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default word

that sheet 'metal' is thinner than reciept paper at McDonalds!

Maybe the new owners of Chrysler will fix it?
Old 05-14-2007, 08:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PoorDad
I really can not make out the dents you guys are talking about, but I happened to be talking to a friend of mine who has been a jeep guy for a long time about this last night. He was saying that sometimes the straps on the rear doors were not being attached properly at the factory, or came unattached at some point. When the door is pushed open and the door not held onto, it swings forward and hits the front door. Do the dents on your front doors match where the rear doors would hit is unstrapped? Or was my buddy full of it.
Your friend may be full of it but thats a different issue. The dents we are talking about is a depression in the door at the lower hinge on some Jeeps. The dents your friend is talking about is when your mirror strikes the cowl from the door being unstrapped and swinging all the way open.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I see. A totally different set of dents. Now I know what has been happening with all of my old soda and beer cans that I have been recycling. Chrysler has been using them for body panels and doors....
Old 05-14-2007, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

I'll be damned...I saw that on mine the other day and I assumed I kicked up a clod of mud while trailriding and it dented it. I've got the exact same dent, exact same place...but only on my driver's side (yes I have power windows). You can only see it in good light, and it's not a true dent, but like someone said...just a wave where you can tell the metal isn't flat. I was peeved for a like 2 days, then said "meh...screw it". I didn't realize that this was a common problem. I don't feel so bad about it now. Hell, keep it muddy...you'll never see it.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

It amazes me that so many just accept this as no big deal. I'd be willing to bet if it were any other car you guys would be screaming. Why then is it acceptable on the Wrangler? I'm sorry, but for 28 grand I'd like my doors not to dent on their own.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Considering it's gonna' get a lot more dinged and danged in the future...a small wave in the driver's side door can easily be overlooked. This wasn't bought to be pretty, and I have no desire to put it on a pedastal and look at it from afar.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

To each his own I guess. It just seems that people are more concerned about scratches on their dashboard than dents in their doors. Seems a little odd to me.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Granted...with your observation...people look at a scratch in their dashboard the whole time they are driving...a dent in the door is only seen when getting into the vehicle...

Like you said...to each their own. Mine is a tool, a toy and a DD. And not necessarily in that order. A wave only seen in sunlight, when it's clean, is not a big deal to me.

Quick Reply: Door Dents