Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dome light won't turn off

Old 04-23-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up just putting the doors back on and it fixed the problem, hopefully I don't have to pull the fuse everytime I take the doors off.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Tambo
I ended up just putting the doors back on and it fixed the problem, hopefully I don't have to pull the fuse everytime I take the doors off.
Since it's just disconnecting the electrical plug to prove this problem, you should be able to take this to the dealer and get them to fix it. Knowing dealers they'll give you the old "they all do that", but show them on one of the new Jeeps that you know what you're talking about and insist that they fix it.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

I thought to take the doors off you had to get the mirror relocation bracket and the retainer clip for the pin that activates the light when you open the door
Old 04-24-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Struggles
I thought to take the doors off you had to get the mirror relocation bracket and the retainer clip for the pin that activates the light when you open the door
I took my doors off many times without a bracket. I believe the wiring harness controls the dome light switch in the doors... Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing a pin for my lights.... ... I just took my doors off 15 min ago and the dome light was on, but went off just as if I had the doors on (30 sec delay or so)...
Old 04-24-2011, 05:17 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not for JKs. There are no pins on JK doors. The computer "sees" when the door opens and closes, then the light is on a timer and dims after a few seconds. If the computer also "sees" if the door was disconected so it should shut down the lights when you remove the door. Obviously in the OP's case it didn't. It should be an easy fix by the dealer.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

On the JKs you do not need the clip. Just unplug the wiring harness (quick disconnect installed from factory) and take the doors off. The lights will (should) turn off automatically. At least on mine they do.

As far as the mirror relocation goes, you should get this or at least some other type of mirror. I know there are many other ways to do this and maybe someone will chime in that knows more about it. You can ride without side mirrors (not legally) but it is not recommended. (at least by me) I have done it, but did not like it. I use my side mirrors a lot and really missed them.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Since it's just disconnecting the electrical plug to prove this problem, you should be able to take this to the dealer and get them to fix it. Knowing dealers they'll give you the old "they all do that", but show them on one of the new Jeeps that you know what you're talking about and insist that they fix it.
x2. are you still under warranty? if you are, i would take it and have them fix it.

Quick Reply: Dome light won't turn off