Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Does this look infected?

Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this look infected?

Now that I have your attention...

Over the weekend my wife and I went for a drive out in the country down some pretty rough roads. I couldn't believe the clunking coming from the front end. It wasn't flighty or wobble or shimmy, just clunking sounds. So today I got it up on jack stands and checked everything I could find that might have come loose. Nothing looked bad and everything seemed tight. Then I remembered reading on here about doing a ball joint test. Sure enough, it seems like that's my clunk. I made a vid of it to show the play but I don't have any way to measure it. Take a look and listen to the clunk. Do I need to replace them now, or can they wait a couple of months? Looking at this, I can't believe this is normal. This is on the drivers side, which seemed the worse. It's an 07 with over 50K and the OME HD 2.5" lift.

Thanks for your input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToSptDtG9W8&feature=player_profilepage
Old 04-26-2011, 03:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Here are the limits for the JK ball joints:

Radial (side-to-side) movement in the upper ball joint should not exceed 0.060" (1.5mm).

Axial (up and down) movement in the lower ball joint should not exceed 0.050" (1.25mm).

The source of the vertical movement you have is wear in the lower ball joint.

If worn beyond limits, (looks like they are), replace them when you can. I have not heard of a JK knuckle falling off from worn ball joints, but I suppose it could happen.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Front end steering and suspension is one of my state and ASE certs and from the video I would say it is bad. Usually if you can see movement with your eye let alone from a distance it is bad or at the least has two feet in the grave. I have seen balljoints come apart, usually on fords and it isn't pretty. Your best bet is to install a set of MOOG or equivalent in there, I say MOoG because they have a lifetime warranty and are greaseable.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

One additional side effect to bad ball joints is accelerated wear on axle seals.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dynas all the way. Built like tanks.

Oh and your stock ones are def shot.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a front end clunking sound/feel on rough roads and bumpy seasonal roads. I only have 30k miles, but the dealer is replacing the ball joints under warranty because they are worn very similar to your video. I'll let you know if it helps the clunks.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Dynas all the way. Built like tanks.

Oh and your stock ones are def shot.
Tanks are nice, but I'm on a BB gun budget.

Thanks for the comments! I'll let you know what I decide to use and how it works out.

Quick Reply: Does this look infected?