Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

does BLD work on both axles? do i really need trak-Lok?

Old 08-19-2010, 04:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
...or get the Jeep and save some cash for a real locker. You'll be far happier with a locker in the rear rather than the BLD or limited slip. If you end up doing much 'wheeling at all, you'll get tired of the limited slip pretty quick.

Here's my opinion-filled rating of open diffs through locker:

0 - Open Diff - no torque to wheel with traction, all torque to wheel with no traction. Great for going around corners and is easy on tire wear. Only helps when you are wheeling when both wheels have equal traction.

3 - BLD - better than open diff, but you do get some brake wear if you 'wheel much. The brakes are constantly being feathered on the slipping wheel. There's a slight delay in the BLD action so it doesn't engage around every corner. I have selectable lockers and have tried the BLD to get out of sticky situations. Certainly not as good as a limited slip but much better than open diffs.

4 - Limited Slip (AKA Trac-Lok) - much like the BLD except clutches in the diff engage to transfer torque to the slipping wheel. When new they work pretty good. As the clutches wear, it doesn't work as good. Can sometimes bind a little when going around corners and such, but not terribly bad. Most don't even notice - except your tires might wear a tad faster.

10 - Locker (Rubi, Detroit Locker, ARB, etc.) - when unlocked, all the advantages of an open diff. When locked, the axle is spooled - both wheels get equal torque no matter what.
this post gets a definite

has to be one of the most informative posts on the subject.. clears a lot up for me...

I dont wheel much with my 4 doors.. but im considering getting back into sdome light wheeling with a new 2 door... I like the idea of having a selectable locker at some point rather than an LSD that does what it wants....

not too keen on the idea though of having to give my air-conditioning up to have On board air for a locker though.. in fact i wont give up my A/C no how..... but more than likely by the time I want to tear my diff apart and change it out an electric locker might be available...

again thanks for the great info!
-Christopher

Quick Reply: does BLD work on both axles? do i really need trak-Lok?