Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

does BLD work on both axles? do i really need trak-Lok?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default does BLD work on both axles? do i really need trak-Lok?

im looking at a new 2010 JK.. and the one thing that has stopped me from pulling the trigger is the fact It doesnt have trak-lok rear...

with brake Lock Dif do i really need trak-lok?? ive always had limited slip on every jeep ive owned...

does BLD run on the front axle or just the rear?

-Christopher
Old 08-18-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

works on both axles but lockers are way better. that BLD works in theory but I find it suks in the real world.

but then again we all wheel differently and if posi was enough in the past it will be enough in the future
Old 08-18-2010, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does BLD work on both axles? do i really need trak-Lok?

The BLD is better than open diff's in a lot of situations, but it can get a little annoying in mud and sand because it'll slow your wheel speed right when you need it. So all in all I like it in snow and on the rocks but not in mud and sand. It would be nice to have a locker or an LSD but it's better than nothing.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Trak-Lock LSD is soooo cheap that you should definitely get it if you can. BLD is not the same. LSD isn't as good as lockers, but it's definitely a step up from an open diff + LSD. Awesome value at $295.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

trak lok seems hard to find.. seems the jeeps i find with trak lok dont have infinity sound.. and vice versa..

my jeep spends 99% of its time on the road or in snow so infinity sound is a must...

I ordered trak lok on my last 2 because i was ordering them and like the last post it was so cheap i got it as a no brainer..

ill keep lookin around and see if i can find a trak lok with infinity.. power, auto and trak lok.. oh and soft top only.. I found a few with hard tops..

I guess soft tops must not be popular in ohio most of the dealer stock for anything other than a stripped model has a hard top or dual tops..
-Christopher
Old 08-18-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

got LSD on my JK and from my personal observation LSD kick in before the BLD therefore keep my break pad in good shape longer
Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Keep looking, one will come along
Old 08-18-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...or get the Jeep and save some cash for a real locker. You'll be far happier with a locker in the rear rather than the BLD or limited slip. If you end up doing much 'wheeling at all, you'll get tired of the limited slip pretty quick.

Here's my opinion-filled rating of open diffs through locker:

0 - Open Diff - no torque to wheel with traction, all torque to wheel with no traction. Great for going around corners and is easy on tire wear. Only helps when you are wheeling when both wheels have equal traction.

3 - BLD - better than open diff, but you do get some brake wear if you 'wheel much. The brakes are constantly being feathered on the slipping wheel. There's a slight delay in the BLD action so it doesn't engage around every corner. I have selectable lockers and have tried the BLD to get out of sticky situations. Certainly not as good as a limited slip but much better than open diffs.

4 - Limited Slip (AKA Trac-Lok) - much like the BLD except clutches in the diff engage to transfer torque to the slipping wheel. When new they work pretty good. As the clutches wear, it doesn't work as good. Can sometimes bind a little when going around corners and such, but not terribly bad. Most don't even notice - except your tires might wear a tad faster.

10 - Locker (Rubi, Detroit Locker, ARB, etc.) - when unlocked, all the advantages of an open diff. When locked, the axle is spooled - both wheels get equal torque no matter what.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aussie locker up front, Trac-loc in rear... Does everything I need it to do.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
...or get the Jeep and save some cash for a real locker. You'll be far happier with a locker in the rear rather than the BLD or limited slip. If you end up doing much 'wheeling at all, you'll get tired of the limited slip pretty quick.

Here's my opinion-filled rating of open diffs through locker:

0 - Open Diff - no torque to wheel with traction, all torque to wheel with no traction. Great for going around corners and is easy on tire wear. Only helps when you are wheeling when both wheels have equal traction.

3 - BLD - better than open diff, but you do get some brake wear if you 'wheel much. The brakes are constantly being feathered on the slipping wheel. There's a slight delay in the BLD action so it doesn't engage around every corner. I have selectable lockers and have tried the BLD to get out of sticky situations. Certainly not as good as a limited slip but much better than open diffs.

4 - Limited Slip (AKA Trac-Lok) - much like the BLD except clutches in the diff engage to transfer torque to the slipping wheel. When new they work pretty good. As the clutches wear, it doesn't work as good. Can sometimes bind a little when going around corners and such, but not terribly bad. Most don't even notice - except your tires might wear a tad faster.

10 - Locker (Rubi, Detroit Locker, ARB, etc.) - when unlocked, all the advantages of an open diff. When locked, the axle is spooled - both wheels get equal torque no matter what.
I think you hit the nail on the head

Quick Reply: does BLD work on both axles? do i really need trak-Lok?