Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Do-it-Yourself Hardtop Wiring?

Old 10-28-2007, 08:05 PM
mt3
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do-it-Yourself Hardtop Wiring?

i know there are a few posts on how dealers are taking 11 hours to 2 days to install the hard top wiring. is it really that hard? has anyone tried the do the wiring themselves? isn't it just a harness? .... any helpful tips?

the issue with having to re-flash the computer for the wipers/defrosters to work ... can you just have the dealership do it after you self-install?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

I didn't do it on the JK, but I did do the wiring for the hardtop on my 06 TJ, and it took me all day. The whole freaking dash had to come out...the instructions were not properly color-keyed, and if I hadn't had the service manual, I probably couldn't have completed it. There is no earthly reason for them to make it that hard (or to NOT make it easier) to add other factory parts!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are numerous splices, and several points that the connecters have to be totally reworked. I couldn't believe the nightmare that it was, BUT, I certainly wouldn't want some greasy little dealership "tech" doing that job.

PS....You should try installing the FOG LIGHT kit!!! Grrrrrrrr

Last edited by Dogzilla; 10-29-2007 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did my 03 TJ and it took me the better part of a Saturday afternoon. It wasn't overly complicated, but the directions sucked. Someone on another board installed a harness and said it wasn't overly difficult, but if had to do it over again, he would pay the dealership. I don't think that I would concur with that.

On a side note, if you install it yourself, you still need the dealer to flash your computer ao that the wiper and defroster will work.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

I know this doesn't answer your question, but it gives you insight. I was helping a buddy work on an 04 or 05 installing MOPAR foglights. This meant removing the entire turn-signal/lights stick and replacing it. (I can imagine them doing the same for the wiper stick too.) My friend's happened to be a right side steer (for delivering mail). The color coding was off as well.

When my brother bought a hard top for his 04, he was looking at the same thing as you, running wires for the wipers, etc. The top he bought was for an 03, and the plugs didn't fit, so there was that to deal with too. Luckily, I don't believe they changed that much from 07 to 08... but just something to keep in mind.

Quick Reply: Do-it-Yourself Hardtop Wiring?