Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Do you take your soft top all the way off?

Old 02-25-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Topless/doorless I always remove it completely. OnceI take it off it won't go on again until I need AC or it gets too cold.

Only issue I see running topless so much is that the rollbar cover fades and starts to turn brown.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the boot for the soft top and imo looks way better. Was looking at getting the bestop safari top, deck cover, and the 2dr wraparound but can't justify the cost.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 10JKUsah
I'll be taking my hard top off and putting the soft top on for the first time soon, about how difficult will this be? Any tricks to make it easier?
Make sure you get some help with the hard top removal.
There are a few options fir storage, i wouldn't lay the top on the ground.
Watch a few utube videos on soft top install and removal. That helped me a lot.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I remove all top components April til Sept.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

X2 on getting a buddy to help with hard top removal.. There are a few folks who regularly do it by themself, but for me..that's an unnecessary risk.

As far as installing the soft top... sun shine is your friend. Installing the soft top in cool weather as opposed to a warm day is two very different experiences.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Yes, I normally take the soft top off completely at the beginning of summer. Prior to removing the top I give it a good wash and wax. After the removal I install the Bestop Duster. If it looks like rain I also have the Bestop Bikini Top and although it's an unlimited I have and use the 2dr Windjammer. It fits nice and tight. If it's raining for any length of time I run the Bikini, Jammer, And Duster, and I have few if any leakes with this combination. I do let the plastic pieces on so that everything fits tight.
I got this JKU for the wife, and she likes to go topless whenever she can.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:09 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only had my top fully down twice.. heresy, I know. No chance I'd take it completely off with it being my dd and the unpredictable weather in the mid Atlantic.

My defense on never dropping the top is that I work outside all day and by 3pm on a hot summer day all I want is maximum AC and as little fresh air as possible. It's a sad existence.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

With having 2 kids and no room in the garage and the Sunrider top on the new JKU, I can't see myself completely taking the top off even with the doors off. Much easier to just put it all the way down and then when the tiny tots get too sun roasted pop the top back up and give them some shade.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Ditto...

If it's going to be nice, I'll take it off. I have a mesh for over the front and a Smittybilt CRES for the back. Might get a trail cover of some sort for when the weather get's iffy, so I don't have to scurry to get the top back on. But I understand the OP's dilemma and this year I switched to a Trektop Nx in part so I don't have deal with the metal bows.
I haven't found info on this. The bows are gone with the Trektop? What does it use as a frame to keep everything in place.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kesmith8
I remove all top components April til Sept.
Here is a man who is not afraid of a liitle moisture.

Quick Reply: Do you take your soft top all the way off?