Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Do you take your soft top all the way off?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you take your soft top all the way off?

Hey guys, just got a 2010 JKU. I took my soft top down and all the way off the jeep and hauled it up to my second story apartment. Big pain to do that and then to put it back on when the weather changed. Basically does it look goofy to leave the soft top on? Would getting a boot for the soft top and maybe quick disconnects so I can lay the connecting bars flat and out of sight?

My other option is to get the best top 2dr wraparound, deck cover, and safari top and just take the safari top and wraparound off when I want. Any other options? I would like to run with the top off but sometimes the weather changes and it'd be nice to not get caught in a downpour.

looking forward to getting some help with my jeep.

Last edited by Ezekiel97; 02-24-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my soft top on all the time. I either fold it back or just take out the windows. I'm not sure why you are removing it, unless you're putting a different top on in its place.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
I have my soft top on all the time. I either fold it back or just take out the windows. I'm not sure why you are removing it, unless you're putting a different top on in its place.
x2... Leave it on.... you will be glad you did when it unexpectedly rains on you. I also store my rear and side windows in the jeep.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

That's a lot of work, especially in the summer! It's made to just roll back and lay down at the tailgate. And trust us, you'll be glad when it rains, gets chilly at night or the sun is beating you to death. As long as I can have my doors off, I don't care if my top is up or down!

And no, it doesn't look goofy if you leave it on. If someone thinks so, they probably have no idea about Jeeps so who cares...?! :-)

Last edited by DirtyDi; 02-23-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 PM
JK Freak

Yea just leave it on it looks fine trust us its worth having it on just in case of that sudden rain and I agree as long as my does are off idc if my top is up or down
Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM
JK Super Freak

When I run the soft top I usually just fold back the top and leave the part behind up. That way you can still stuff in and out of the trunk area. Looks fine especially if the side windows are out and the back window is rolled up.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ezekiel97, I only take it completely off when I put the hard top on in fall/winter. I don't want to drive topless in the rain!

But calling a Jeep a car... the poor cat
Old 02-24-2012, 02:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree leave it on. I either take windows off and slide back top over front seats as well. I have seen the cover for them they look cool. I will be purchasing the Safari Straps Warrior Long Cage down the road. So I can utilize both tops at same time to keep my dog in and people honest. I like the fact you can still use straps with the top still attached.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:04 AM
JK Newbie

Clearly I am in the minority but I take mine off also. I do not like the way it looks too. I have a bikini top i keep in back just in case in rains but I watch the weather every night so I leave that out most of the time. Everyone seems concerned about getting caught in the rain but I have never been caught in the rain. I watch the weather the night before and if it looks like rain I put it on it only takes like 10 minutes.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:09 AM
JK Junkie

hmmm not sure why anyone would bother to take it completely off ? just for looks ? thats sounds like a lot of hassle

Quick Reply: Do you take your soft top all the way off?