Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Do you include your spare in tire rotation?
Yes
82.08%
No
16.04%
Other- please explain
1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Do you rotate your spare?

Old 05-15-2014, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do G too.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...EtVZdnFfzbz0o-

My rotation order using an axel jack (4 lifts):
1) Remove spare.
2) Remove passenger rear and replace with spare.
3) Remove passenger front and replace with passenger rear.
4) Remove driver rear and replace with passenger front.
5) Remove driver front and replace with driver rear.
6) Put driver front as spare.

My safe jacking instructions:
1) Never get under a vehicle supported only by a jack.
2) Only rotate tires on a flat - level - hard surface.
3) Set parking brake and chock wheel opposite from the jack.
4) Lift with an axel (scissors, shop or bottle) jack... save the Hi-Lift for off-road recovery only.
5) Loosen lugs after jack has weight on it but before wheel is off the ground.
6) Only raise wheel high enough to clear the ground by less than 1 inch.
7) When mounting a heavy tire save your back by using the jack to raise and lower the vehicle to align the wheel lugs with the wheel.
8) Snug lug nuts in a crisscross pattern making several passes before putting weight on the tires.
9) Once the vehicle weight is returned to the tire, torque lug nuts to 100 Ft-Lbs (spec is 85 - 125) in a crisscross pattern making at least 2 passes until all are at spec torque.

Do this and you won't be singing Kenny Rogers parodies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdhxulLH5iI

Last edited by Sahara Lee; 05-15-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the G method.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
No
A spare is a spare. It's there to get you home for a repair. OK enough with the Dr. Suess

Things may have changed since the old days but a lot of us used to get what we could out of the 4 tires on the ground. when it was time for replacements you buy 3 new ones and include the unused spare as the 4th. The best of the original take-offs becomes the spare.

Now repeat first line of reply.

If you've got Unlimited tire bucks include all 5 in rotation until you need 5 new tires all at once.

This seems to make the most sense to me. This is my first vehicle with a full size spare. I have a tire cover over mine so I never thought of sun damage to it but the comment about the TPMS battery going out makes tons of sense. I haven't had the chance to go offroading so I've only used it for highway driving.

Last edited by JeeprCreepr13; 06-26-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:23 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Rotate all 5. Cost per mile is the same, you just go farther before buying your next set. Just because a tire doesn't look dry rotted doesn't mean it is safe to use, 2 or 3 sets with the same spare and when you need it you may not get far on it.
I don't understand how a spare on the tailgate "dry rots" but the ones on the road don't. Things might have changed since the old days but 'dry rot' used to be a symptom of wood.
I could be mistaken.
Keep a tire cover on spare and it will not get weather checked from UV and if it rains where you live it'll still get wet when you're driving from behind the cover.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did one set of tires. But don't anymore. A spare tire won't rot on the back. You can keep it nice with tire shine if you want. It means I have to spend less money when I get new tires.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:46 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by JeeprCreepr13
This seems to make the most sense to me. This is my first vehicle with a full size spare. I have a tire cover over mine so I never thought of sun damage to it but the comment about the TPMS battery going out makes tons of sense. I haven't had the chance to go offroading so I've only used it for highway driving.
My 07 Rubi U does not have TPMS. F'n perfect.
BUT the Gargoylette's WK deisel does. That said she ended up throwing a tire due to debris on the highway...chewed up the rim...tpms sensor launched into near earth orbit and never recovered....
SO what I learned about the sensors is that :the ones from my spare Rubi rims from a later model
are not compatible with her existing ones
-The batteries are molded into the sensor-irreplcacable
SO why the TPMS sensor on a spare tire has to be involved in any discussion regarding 4 or 5 tire rotation in beyond my comprehension
Could be wrong...what would I know
Old 11-16-2014, 03:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazymike
I did one set of tires. But don't anymore. A spare tire won't rot on the back. You can keep it nice with tire shine if you want. It means I have to spend less money when I get new tires.
So you are stuck with buying the same tires every time? Or do you have a mismatched spare?
Old 11-16-2014, 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

Default rotate

Always do 5 tire rotate, but never cross them. Have a thing about keeping them going in same direction. Spare to R/R,R/R to R/f, R/F to spare,L/f + L/R swap.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
I don't understand how a spare on the tailgate "dry rots" but the ones on the road don't. Things might have changed since the old days but 'dry rot' used to be a symptom of wood. I could be mistaken. Keep a tire cover on spare and it will not get weather checked from UV and if it rains where you live it'll still get wet when you're driving from behind the cover.
Tire formulations are some pretty complex chemistries. They include compounds for anti-UV, anti-oxidation/ozonation, anti-wear, etc.

The repeated flexing of a road tire causes heating, the heating allows for migration of the various waxes and such to replenish at the surface. That doesn't happen to an unused spare.

An aging, unused tire will show a whitish coating that is the telltale sign of non-use.

If you've ever come across an old rubber band that has become sticky, lost its elasticity, and cracks when you stretch it, that's pretty much what people mean when they say "dry-rot".

Tires have manufacturing date codes for good reason. They lose their road worthiness over time. Arguably faster with non-use.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MTMxRubi
So you are stuck with buying the same tires every time? Or do you have a mismatched spare?
I will never go bigger than 35s and at $125 a pop I'll keep running treadwrights.

Quick Reply: Do you rotate your spare?