Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Do you include your spare in tire rotation?
Yes
82.08%
No
16.04%
Other- please explain
1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Do you rotate your spare?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By rotating the spare you add longevity to your next tire purchase.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zedteamk2
I recently upgraded to some Nitto Trail Grapplers and it is getting close to tire rotating time.
Do you include your spare in the rotation or just leave it on there?
FYi- i did get all 5 tires... i never really understood the mismatched spare idea.
THANK YOU !!!!!
I dont understand why anyone would even carry around a spare that is not the same size as the other 4 tires. I know the cost is the reason but what it will cost in tearing up axles and gears, your better off buying the 5th tire.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotate all 5. Cost per mile is the same, you just go farther before buying your next set. Just because a tire doesn't look dry rotted doesn't mean it is safe to use, 2 or 3 sets with the same spare and when you need it you may not get far on it.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Did a 5 tire rotation last night. Fronts were starting to wear funny and get loud. Seemed much smoother today after the rotation, and no more noise.

By the way - interesting in knowing what the third option in this poll is all about. Either you rotate the spare in, or you don't. What is the third option?

Last edited by PG-JKU; 05-14-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm at ~38k miles and have had the primary four rotated by the dealer at every oil change (8k miles). After the last one, I had a feeling that they didn't actually do it because the front rims had more brake dust than the rear. After the service manager showed me the lack of scallops on the now front tires, I asked if they were following the standard method of rotating (front to rear, rear cross to front). He said they just go front to back and back to front without switching sides. With all the right-hand on & off ramps we have around here, no wonder I'm showing more wear on the outside of the drivers side! I plan on either enforcing the 5-tire true rotation with the dealer at next go around or just do it myself.
Just read the earlier posts on the thread... I'll be using the G-rotation next time.

Last edited by '11BronzeStar70th; 05-14-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
... By the way - interesting in knowing what the third option in this poll is all about. Either you rotate the spare in, or you don't. What is the third option?
My answer was "other" and I explained it as requested, but I will clarify. I have two spares, both worn by being used in a five tire rotation. Since anyone who off roads knows they should replace their tires well before they reach the treadware indicators (which mark degraded **"highway*** performance), we all end up with a perfectly suitable spare or three or four after every new tire purchase. At that time go to a four tire rotation, and save your back from lifting that spare off the carrier. LOL.

Of course, if you're fickle about tire size or brand, you may want to continue buying five new tires. Or you could just buy 35" Duratracs and be done with the flip-flopping--they are that good. ;-)
Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Ah ok Mark. Thanks for reclarifying. I agree about the Duratracs!
Old 05-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Former Member

No
A spare is a spare. It's there to get you home for a repair. OK enough with the Dr. Suess

Things may have changed since the old days but a lot of us used to get what we could out of the 4 tires on the ground. when it was time for replacements you buy 3 new ones and include the unused spare as the 4th. The best of the original take-offs becomes the spare.

Now repeat first line of reply.

If you've got Unlimited tire bucks include all 5 in rotation until you need 5 new tires all at once.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
No
A spare is a spare. It's there to get you home for a repair. OK enough with the Dr. Suess

Things may have changed since the old days but a lot of us used to get what we could out of the 4 tires on the ground. when it was time for replacements you buy 3 new ones and include the unused spare as the 4th. The best of the original take-offs becomes the spare.

Now repeat first line of reply.

If you've got Unlimited tire bucks include all 5 in rotation until you need 5 new tires all at once.
I do it the way you say, but even if you rotated all five, when it's time for new tires, you could keep the best for a spare still and only buy 4.. only reason I rotate 4 tires I'd because I think they wear more even that way..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2014, 12:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I rotated five the first cycle. Since we all off-road our Jeeps :-), all of us are smart enough to know that you replace tires well before they reach treadware indicators (treadware indicators are for highway use only). I then save best two tires, which by definition have plenty of life for "emergency/spare" usage. After that I buy four new tires, and rotate those four. Easier for me than having to manhandle spare off carrier. Spares are always saved from most recent tires off Jeep, avoiding "dry rot" problem. This works for me because I'm happy with 35" Duratracs.
Great idea!

Quick Reply: Do you rotate your spare?