Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Do you have soft top regrets

Old 06-17-2015, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say it depends on a couple of things... Is there room for storing a hardtop and do you have help removing /replacing the hard top. I started with a soft top and lucked into a free busted up hard top in Craigslist. After some repairs I have enjoyed switching to the hard top for winter. It's quieter and I like the ease of the pop up rear window. Currently I am running a trektop and will switch back to my hard top at Thanksgiving. One last thing, soft tops in the winter are fine, too. Not a lot of heavy snow in TX so there's no worry there.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:12 AM
Former Vendor

Default Soft top choice?

If you guys don't mind me asking, if you don't have a factory soft top what top did you purchase and what was the deciding factor?
Old 06-17-2015, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bestop Supertop NX. I chose this top because I believe Bestop makes the best tops and I've had good experiences with them. They're easy to drop and put back up. You always have your top with you if the weather changes. I researched the trek top but I just don't get them. Besides maybe loving the slanted back look they don't seem useful to me.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:16 AM
Former Vendor

I really like the look trek top, but I worry about losing that storage space and how functional they are. Bestop does have a great rep.

Originally Posted by Jeep801
Bestop Supertop NX. I chose this top because I believe Bestop makes the best tops and I've had good experiences with them. They're easy to drop and put back up. You always have your top with you if the weather changes. I researched the trek top but I just don't get them. Besides maybe loving the slanted back look they don't seem useful to me.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in central Indiana and I'm on my third Jeep in the last 15 years. The first two were TJs and the current one is a JK. I've only run a soft top on any of them. In fact my current JK came with hard top only. Took that off as soon as it came home from the dealership and picked up a used soft top on on CL. Noise doesn't bother me. It's a Jeep, it's noisy no matter what top you have on!
Old 06-17-2015, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RoughCountry
If you guys don't mind me asking, if you don't have a factory soft top what top did you purchase and what was the deciding factor?
Mine came with a hard top only, I ended up purchasing the Trektop NX. I chose it because I like the slant back look, but I also like running bikini more, especially the look with no doors or tube doors. This top gave me the option to run bikini and still have a functioning full soft top. The windows can be rolled up and stored under the seats so I can take it with me and only takes a few minutes to put back on. Has the sunrider feature like the stock soft tops, and with a little bit of ingenuity it can be rolled up and ran completely topless.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoughCountry
I originally bought my JKU Sahara with a hard top. My previous jeep (JK) also came with a hardtop, I found it difficult to be removing without a garage to hook up some kind of hoist or straps. I went with BestTop NX because of the design and good reviews. I've had zero issues with it. It's gone through maybe 3-4 good thunderstorms with heavy rain no leaks what so ever. . Also the youtube install instructions were very helpful Good Luck on your decision!!
Old 06-17-2015, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran my 13 JK for 1 1/2 years with the hard top only, but always wanted a soft top, and deals didn't come up when I had the $ to get one. Finally over the winter I picked up a used top off a 2014 for $350. Put it on in early April and absolutely love it. I have a garage and built a cart to store my hard top. I will probably swap tops like everyone else does in Fall and Spring. Hard top does have some advantages with security and in the winter, but nothing beats being able to take the soft top down when it is nice.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

At various times I've had two stock soft tops, a hard top, and now a Trektop NX. I got rid of the '07 soft top to pick up a cable '10 soft top. Loved both but ended up selling because I found a great deal on a once-used trektop.

I like the Trektop for its bikini top functionality. I like how open it feels without the windows in. I haven't missed the space in rear cargo either. I thought I would but I don't. If you get one, swap out the bestop tailgate for a stock tailgate bar and clips. This makes it easier to get I and out of the cargo area. It's also got an easy sunrider feature that I don't use... Prefer the shade, sold my spiderweb shade.

In the winter..... Hard top!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3958875711.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	511.1 KB
ID:	615132  
Old 06-17-2015, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard top winter

Off Road Heroes soft top summer.

I compared the factory soft top at the dealer to a friend's Best Top NX and then bought the ORH. I made the right choice for me. No frames, bows, hinges, BS. Completely off in 2 mins. On in less than 4. Everything stores easily in my Jeep under the back seats.

Honestly use the soft top about 5-6 days all summer and have the top completely off the rest of the time.

I use a spiderweb shade once it gets hot to provide a little blockage from the sun. I have AC but have rarely use it.

Quick Reply: Do you have soft top regrets