Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Do you have soft top regrets

Old 05-09-2015, 11:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CTW21
...the bees knees!
Hahaha...you're dating yourself with that one, ctw...lol
Old 05-09-2015, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love my soft top

The only reasons i'd ever have a hard top is for winters here in ohio but my jeep has a soft top, they are good for security and winter, other than that would never have one!
Old 05-11-2015, 03:49 AM
JK Newbie

Ohio guy here too. I bought with a hard top but purchased a soft top off of Craigslist. I like the hard top for the winter, vacation road trips and easier access to the back storage. It typically comes off in April for the soft top though and stays off until Octoberish. I suspend the hard top from my garage ceiling with eyehooks and ratchet straps. Lift and hook one corner at a time and drive out from under it. Quick and easy $20 storage solution and I can do it by myself.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I may be the odd man out on this one. But my situation is a bit different as well. I picked up a hardtop last Fall because I was concerned about having my newborns in my jeep during the winter with the soft top freezing them out

Now that the weather is getting warmer, I still don't feel the need to take the hardtop off. I am constantly having to get into the back of the jeep for something, whether its the stroller or diaper bags or a toy that got tossed over the seat. Between having the easy access and freedom panels and added elements protection for my daughters (1&2years old) are plenty enough reason for me to just leave the hard top on for now. If it were just me by myself or the kids were older I would have the soft top on exclusively. But anytime I am by myself and the weather is nice Im on my Harley anyway
Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

My '09 JKUR came with the dual top option. Since I had a full garage there was no place to store the hardtop. Sold off my CJ recently which gave me the space I needed. Soft top had been sealed in the boxes for six years. After removing the hard top I carefully installed the soft top and took a drive to see how the noise level was. YIKES! As time went on it got worse and developed a water leak above my sPOD....not good. Turned out it needed the header replaced with upgraded steel parts, $200 because it's out of warranty. That sealed it up and got rid of the leak. Meanwhile I walked up to the driver side and discovered a 2" tear in the fabric above the driver side rear window. So, hope I never get a customer satisfaction survey from Jeep asking about the soft top.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have both tops, If weather is bad enough that I have to keep the top up then I prefer the hard top. When the soft top is on then it is down, even in light rain. I hate the plastic window and on a real hot, humid days it is like driving around with a plastic bag on your head.....Thinking of buying tinted windows to see if that helps.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

No regret for the moment, live in Montreal, park in the street so hard top was the best option for me. The only thing I ate is to wait to go at my family home to removed the whole top. Beside of that pretty happy with my first Jeep
Old 05-11-2015, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Got rid of my hardtop. Love the soft-top. My only problems is that it isn't down enough.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

I have both and love them both for different reasons. I insulated my hardtop with boom mat this past winter and I think it makes a big difference both temperature and sound wise. I think I might keep my hard top on for summer as bad as that sounds
Old 06-16-2015, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

It all depends on your needs. I just got a 2015 JKU with a soft top but I wanted the hardtop initially. NO REGRET ON THE SOFT TOP.

I love to ride with the top down and feel that fresh air. It's a freakin Jeep! It's super easy to put it half way or completely down. Takes a few minutes to do it by yourself. Even to completely remove it or put it back on may take only an additional 3-5 minutes. And storing it if completely removed is much easier and it takes up a lot less space. Plus I got leather interior and if it looks likes if it's gonna rain, it goes back up really quick.

I don't have a garage to store the hardtop and no one is gonna help me take off or put a hardtop on on a whim. If I had removed a hardtop, it would've remained stored for a long time because it would be so inconvenient to put it on and off for me. With the soft top, it easily goes on and off. And it makes the ride SO MUCH more fun. Isn't that the reason we got a Jeep?

So a soft top works so much better for me. I love my soft top for the reasons above and have no regrets.

Quick Reply: Do you have soft top regrets