Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Do i need to rebuild the rear axle?

Old 08-09-2024, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i need to rebuild the rear axle?

Guys,

Fairly new here. I have a 2016 JK Willys edition with 3.73 ratio with 105k miles. I recently saw a leak in the rear axle and opted to go to a mechanic to get seals and wheel bearings replaced. They found that the diff gears have chipped tooth on them when the opened the cover on the axle. They are recommending completely rebuilding the rear axle, changing the Diff Case, Ring and Pinion, Diff bearings etc. It is going to cost quite a bit so I wanted to ask you all if anyone thinks it is really necessary to do all that. I have added the pictures of the gears and would love to hear from you guys.
Also, anyone in bay area region to help find a good place for jeeps?

Regards
Harma

Old 08-09-2024, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 400 Likes on 375 Posts

Welcome to the JK Forum.. IMO a replace the damaged parts- in the pictures those are the spider gears. if the ring gear and pinion are not chipped they are OK. Thoroughly clean the entire diff including the port that supplies grease to the pinion bearing. Getting all the metal chips is the KEY..Not removing the pinion and retaining the differential shims in the correct side too. New axle seals & bearing as planned. IMO you should be good to go.. Check this video:
The following users liked this post:
harmansinghbal22 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 03:09 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,687 Posts

I agree with Jay....if the ring and pinion gears are ok, no chipped teeth, then you're just looking at replacing spider gears in the carrier and that is not that expensive. We don't have more pictures, but they might be trying to sell you a new car when all you need is tires.
The following users liked this post:
harmansinghbal22 (08-11-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Jay2013jk and resharp001, appreciate the help. They were definitely upselling.
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Jay2013jk, Resharp001

Any suggestion what is the best place to buy just the spider gears for the limited slip differential?
Old Today, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 400 Likes on 375 Posts

Harmansinghbal2, have not checked for just the spider gear set up outside the dealership..OR . Multiple sellers of MOPAR parts are online with catalogues; many are listed in the vendor directory on JK Forum

Quick Reply: Do i need to rebuild the rear axle?