Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

difficult to change 4HI - 4LO - 4Hi

Old 12-09-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver
From Hi range to Low, or Low to Hi, you should be rolling less than 2mph with no toque on the driveline...neutral, clutch in, etc.

If you're stopped, and the gears in the TC aren't lined up, you may or may not be able to properly engage them.

When done properly at a low speed, it will be smooth like butter!
What he said. I usually switch to 4LO when in neutral coasting around 2-5 mph and it slides right in, if i dont hit the right speed ill hear griding..
As for 4Hi i believe you can switch into up too 55mph
Old 12-09-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find when it binds up and don't want to go usually if I give it a firm quick jerk it will go!! But you can be to ruff or it will break the clip!
Old 12-10-2011, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

From what you are saying the problem "may" be where your transfer case cable enters. Lots of fellow Jeepers have had this problem. One friend of mine has to get under his Jeep everytime with someone moving the selector to prevent it from coming off. Sometimes it won't shift at all and other times just hard to shift. Some have used cable ties with varied success to fixing this issue. See the link below. Hope it helps.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...+case+shifting

Good luck!

Last edited by Doc Highway; 12-10-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Yup. Mine was rough from the beginning! 17k on my 2011 Rubi and the cable, I think, broke off the the lever making me have to get under the Jeep and switch manually. Not fun at all. Easy though! Might be an issue on 2011's...? Dealer is dicking around and after 2 25 min trips, they still can't fix! Said its an all day fix, couldn't fix on Saturday! Anywho, just be careful. I've recently been shifting into 4H on the fly, always going under 15 mph, possibly adding to my failure.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Mine was also rough from the very beginning. In fact I pointed that out at the dealer when I was picked up my new jeep (in a blizzard) and they had a hard time with it too. A lot of slamming on the gear knob and cussing. Awhile later my plastic bushing broke off down by the transfer case. This is a known issue with the newer jeeps. Ever since the bushing was replaced it has been smooth shifting. I've heard on here that it also helps to shift into and out of 4 lo at 2-3 mph instead of from a dead stop, if you are having problems trying to shift.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver
Guys, I realize there are problems with the way the shifter and transfer case connect via the cable...but what most of you are describing as problems, aren't problems at all...it's user error.

I'll repeat:
If you are shifting from Hi range to Low range, you MUST be moving less than 3mph, and you MUST NOT have any torque on the driveline.

You're trying to mesh gears, and if the gears don't line up, they won't mesh. Sure, the may be lined up occasionally...but if they don't, no amount of forcing will make them.

You've got to understand what you're trying to accomplish in order to understand how to accomplish it correctly.
So what you are saying is that if it doesn't want to shift from 4 hi into 4 lo then you need to roll it a bit to get the gears aligned?
Old 12-10-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I find it helps to not only be rolling (if possible) but to also have it in neutral. I have a manual so I fully depress the clutch AND take it out of gear. Very rarely do I have issues doing it this way, even at a dead stop. Not sure why it helps but it does. For an auto I believe it says to be in neutral when switching.

Quick Reply: difficult to change 4HI - 4LO - 4Hi