Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Differential chunks

Old 02-09-2020, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential chunks

Hi everyone,

First, let me thank you for taking the time to read the post and hopefully respond.i have been a Wrangler owner for years and we just bought my wife her first wrangler. It is an unlimited sport and certified Jeep preowned so still under bumper to bumper warranty ( just bought it last Saturday). Today I changed her oil and both differential fluids. The front was fine with just a small amount of fine shavings attached to magnet. The back had me surprised when large metal chunks were attached to the magnet. So many that some fell off the magnet and into catch pan. I am wondering if this is something I should call service department tomorrow and tell them about. I have attached photos with the chunks. I have changed my fair share of diff fluid and none has ever had this many large chunks. I am hoping someone can chip in and verify that I should call tomorrow. Thanks so much in advance. Oh, the Jeep has 40,000 miles on it currently.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Wow. Now that's not normal. I'd be sharing this info and the chips with the dealer and ask them what they are going to do about it.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Wow. Now that's not normal. I'd be sharing this info and the chips with the dealer and ask them what they are going to do about it.
I'll second that.
Looks like they may be spider gear teeth.

Tell them, if they remove the differential cover to have a look, you want to look, too, and take some pictures.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-09-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer

Thank you! That’s what I thought, but wasn’t positive. Thanks for taking the time to respond greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I'll second that.
Looks like they may be spider gear teeth.

Tell them, if they remove the differential cover to have a look, you want to look, too, and take some pictures.
Thank you that’s a great idea! I have used this dealer and purchased the last 5 Jeeps from them I trust them but I want to see how bad it is. Thanks again.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 409 Likes on 384 Posts

From your pictures.. looks like teeth off a side gear in the Diff... Take them & the old diff gear lube with the Jeep to the dealer.. Certified Pre-Owned covers with a $100 deductible. You are probably experiencing clunking noises turning corners when starting from a stop.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

They should replace your diff gears, and throw in a master rebuild kit. You may have to fight with them over that. If they insist "not covered", I'd pay for the kit and have them use it, even if it means you pay added labor. This could just as easily turn into a "you can't go anywhere because your differential is locked up" event when you're a $2,000 tow from the nearest help.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 02-10-2020 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

That is pretty ugly . I think we're all working under the assumption that these are factory gears. You don't have any indication that the axles have been regeared by previous owner right? It's not unheard of with factory gears, but more common to see this after a re-gear. I do know someone that had factory gear teeth break on a jeep that was hardly offroaded. I couldn't believe the pictures when he showed me. I only as about a regear as that would be a clear "out" on the warranty coverage.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 409 Likes on 384 Posts

I do recall reading on Wrangler Forum several posts about side gears breaking - most claimed to have factory limited slip diffs. You have a Certified Pre Owned warranty; recommend return to the dealer you bought from and let them take necessary action.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

99% sure those are chips off the spider gears inside the carrier. Pop the cover off and take a look at them. Probably look all chewed up.

Quick Reply: Differential chunks