Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Difference in spring height.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Difference in spring height.

I'm a newb but actually asking for a friend. What's the difference in spring height between a #14 spring and a #19 spring? Also I'm considering a 2.5" rough country kit with springs and shocks, thoughts on that.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

On a stock weight two door it is approx 1/4 of an inch or so per number, give or take. Others will vary.

Lift kits are like everything else on the planet, you get what you pay for.

I would suggest spending a bit more. At 2.5in, you can get a very basic kit, without your steering going completely to crap, and then add parts later as your budget allows. I went with Teraflex springs and Bilstein 5100 Shocks. I love the shocks, will be changing the springs out when the budget allows as I would like to sit a little higher, and have added considerable weight to my Jeep.

I started out with springs, shocks, sway bar links for the back, (moved the factory rear links to the front), a rear track bar bracket, rear brake line drop brackets, and some bump stops. Did fine, if you rock crawl it, I would also consider some longer rear brake lines (if you remove the axel side bracket from the brake lines in the front you can run the stock lines no problem). I have been upgrading and replacing parts as they wear, (I have replaced the front track bar, the drag link, the tire rod, and finally got front lower control arms last month). I highly recommend going a route similar to this.

Last edited by tjkamp; 01-05-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Also, do the lift yourself, have a buddy help, and knock it out in a day with basic hand tools, a floor jack, jack stands, and some beer. It really helps to get to understand your rig, and install prices on Jeep lifts are insane.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the info on the springs. I also appreciate the advice on the lift kit but in my area Rough Country is a big hit as far as lift kits go. I actually have a 2" RC kit on my 1999 Silverado and it's 10 times smoother than the factory Z71 shocks so what little experience I have with RC has been good. I was also going to upgrade to the N3 shocks which should help as well.

Last edited by tnheritage; 01-06-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tnheritage
I appreciate the info on the springs. I also appreciate the advice on the lift kit but in my area Rough Country is a big hit as far as lift kits go. I actually have a 2" RC kit on my 1999 Silverado and it's 10 times smoother than the factory Z71 shocks so what little experience I have with RC has been good. I was also going to upgrade to the N3 shocks which should help as well.
Right on.

Happy Jeeping!

Quick Reply: Difference in spring height.