Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Diesel jeep

Old 06-08-2013, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel jeep

I'm over here in the Netherlands for a few months and I've seen a few diesel jeeps man I want one of these. I'm wondering if I can buy one and ship it home. Wonder what I would have to do to make it legal in the states. Anybody know ?
Old 06-08-2013, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure but I know there are safety standards from the government (Department of Transportation) that are required to be met before it is allowed on the streets. It is usually emissions and and re-enforcement of metal in places required for safety. I would check with the DOT folks. I know guys from the military run into this when they buy vehicles over seas and try to ship them back.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would think since its the same thing that we have in the states it would be only emission problems.
We are going to build a horse truck here and in order to get it done we have to buy a Volvo truck chassis in the states and ship over here to the Netherlands and then ship the completed truck back to Florida.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Krumby
I'm over here in the Netherlands for a few months and I've seen a few diesel jeeps man I want one of these. I'm wondering if I can buy one and ship it home. Wonder what I would have to do to make it legal in the states. Anybody know ?
Why wouldn't it be legal?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

A number of things. DOT approved lights, emissions components, and just about anything else the government requires on vehicles sold in the US. There are companies that specialize in this stuff, because there are a lot of documentation issues that go along with it.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by celticmoon
A number of things. DOT approved lights, emissions components, and just about anything else the government requires on vehicles sold in the US. There are companies that specialize in this stuff, because there are a lot of documentation issues that go along with it.
Ah ok thanks!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

or get the VIN from another jeep thats being parted out and swap them for yours and register that way.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like the way you think not a bad idea
Old 06-08-2013, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exactly that's why we will ship a chassis over from the US
Old 06-08-2013, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi from Sweden

Have You tried a diesel Wrangler, if not try one and test it against a pentastar and tell us.

Yesterday I tried a new 2013 unlimited rubicon diesel and found it was rather gutless and sounded as a tractor. I compraed to my 2012 2 door sahara wrangler with pentastar. Mine is lighter but is more like a sport vehicle. No diesel for me.

I aint cheap with Wranglers in Europe.

From Jeep netherlands price list

The cheapest wrangler sport with diesel

Wrangler Unlimited 2.8 CRD 16V Sport H6 Stop&Start Low Emission1

Cost € 54.240 euro about 71 000 dollars.

The "BPM bedrag" in the list below is some tax the ad. Europe do not like big engines.

Information about the BPM tax

From

http://www.jeep.nl/jeep3/download/pr...01-2013_v1.pdf

Quick Reply: Diesel jeep