Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Did something stupid..Please help!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did something stupid..Please help!

I was getting in the Jeep with a broken roll of quarters on my way to the spray off car wash. The roll slipped out of my hand into the emergency brake crevice.

These things are rattling like crazy on my mile long bumpy dirt road. How difficult is it to take the surrounding console off?

Thanks!

Last edited by lakeguy; 09-12-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

It isn't too tough. Pull the shifter and xfr case knobs. For a six speed you do this by setting a wrench slightly larger than the shaft at the bottom of each knob (I don't know what you do for an auto!). Protect the shaft with packaging tape. Place a towel over the knob to catch it. Tap up on the wrench, pushing the knob into the towel.

Remove the four large Torx screws from the console--two on each side behind and in front of the seat.

Raise the emergency brake handle fully. Then raise it more. Then more!

Pull the rear of the console up, sliding the shifter boot up the shaft. You can remove the boot, but the bezel is three pieces (you only see one) and easily broken. You should be able to work the console off to retrieve that toll booth money.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. It's and auto and I never use the e-break. Hate to break something but that rattle is gonna drive me crazy.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by lakeguy
Thanks for the reply. It's and auto and I never use the e-break. Hate to break something but that rattle is gonna drive me crazy.
Not too mention the money you will be saving...sorry couldnt help myself! I beleive there are some screws inside the storage box, and there are two just under the net thingy in front of the shifter. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't you just take the inside of the storage bin out and get to where the e-brake is? If so, I think that would be a lot easier. I think I remember seeing a thread where they just took the inside part out.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itasor
Can't you just take the inside of the storage bin out and get to where the e-brake is? If so, I think that would be a lot easier. I think I remember seeing a thread where they just took the inside part out.
Yea, that might do it. It's dark now, have to check in the morning.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flashlight + telescopic magnet
Old 09-13-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
Not too mention the money you will be saving...sorry couldnt help myself! I beleive there are some screws inside the storage box, and there are two just under the net thingy in front of the shifter. Good luck.

:rotfl mao2:

Quick Reply: Did something stupid..Please help!