Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

diagnose my drips

Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diagnose my drips

Pulled my 07 JK out of the garage today and notice a few rust colored drips on the floor. It looks like the drips are coming from the front axel. Who can tell me what might cause this leak and if it is a costly repair or relatively minor.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like the diff cover has some seepage. if so , you would need to drain the oil, take the covers off, and reseal them.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's coming from the differential cover it's an easy fix. If it's coming from the front where the driveshaft connects, you will need a good mechanic.

For the cover you just go through the same process of changing your differential fluid. There is a write up for it in the write-ups section.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seepage around the diff cover is obvious. however, I don't believe it is the main drip point.
Look above the diff cover...

There is rust oxidization which appears to run DOWN the diff cover. Also, the Op suggests it is rust. From the drip on the axle, and the color of rust under the crossmember in the second picture, it too appears to look like rusty WATER. even old gear oil would not take on a rusty water look. Regardless of age.

This looks like anti freeze which is dribbling down. And maybe a combo of a normally seeping diff cover seal.

My guess: have you done regular maintenance on the vehicle? Yourself?

If not, I would certainly check your coolant level, check the water pump seal to the engine for oxidization and seepage. Also, have you ever had your radiator flushed and new antifreeze installed? If yours is an 07, you may be needing that as well.

I bet you have a coolant issue first and foremost, and a normally seeping diff cover. Both are easy low cost fixes

Last edited by RescueGreen#3; 04-07-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RescueGreen#3
The seepage around the diff cover is obvious. however, I don't believe it is the main drip point.
Look above the diff cover...

There is rust oxidization which appears to run DOWN the diff cover. Also, the Op suggests it is rust. From the drip on the axle, and the color of rust under the crossmember in the second picture, it too appears to look like rusty WATER. even old gear oil would not take on a rusty water look. Regardless of age.

This looks like anti freeze which is dribbling down. And maybe a combo of a normally seeping diff cover seal.

My guess: have you done regular maintenance on the vehicle? Yourself?

If not, I would certainly check your coolant level, check the water pump seal to the engine for oxidization and seepage. Also, have you ever had your radiator flushed and new antifreeze installed? If yours is an 07, you may be needing that as well.

I bet you have a coolant issue first and foremost, and a normally seeping diff cover. Both are easy low cost fixes
Thanks for the insightful observation and good news. Thought I was in for a major expense. Woo hoo.

Quick Reply: diagnose my drips