Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Depress Clutch 1/3rd of the Way?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depress Clutch 1/3rd of the Way?

I just got back from my dealership after having problems with my clutch. I used to own a 97 Wrangler and depressed the clutch in all the way when shifting so that's what I do with my 07.

So the first 9000 miles shifting and depressing the clutch were smooth. Now when I clutch in all the way I feel a little bit of resistance and when I'm not pressing on the clutch I can hear a squealing noise. If I press the clutch in a little the noise goes away. The dealer said it was probably the throw out bearing and gave me some hoo-ha about it being normal now because its a little bit colder now in San Diego (60 degrees) and its no longer brand spankin' new. He told me since its a Jeep and designed to drive on rougher terrain that the throwout bearing was designed that way. Does anyone else driving a stick have this noise?

Secondly, one of the auto techs recommended that instead of depressing the clutch all the way, I only go one-third of the way then shift gears. He got in the car with me and let me drive like this and it shifted fine, maybe a little better then usually. He said that newer transmissions were designed this way. So should I be shifting old-school, pressing the clutch in all the way or use his method?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

As far as the throw out bearing there is a TSB fixing that squeal. But for pressing the clutch all the way in or not I dont really know. I do know that I press mine all the way in and dont seem to have any problems with it.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Here is a link to the TSB info.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-re...on-clutch-disc
Old 11-15-2007, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

You should not have any trouble pressing the clutch in all the way, if ypu do, there's something wrong. Go to another dealer, that guy doesn't seem interested in fixing your problem. I can't understand why he would tell you to press the clutch in 1/3 of the way, doesn't make sense to me.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sometimes I press the clutch all the way,sometimes only part way.It doesn`t seem to make too much of a difference except pushing in half way seems smoother. As long as it doesnt grind, I`m cool I actually depress the pedal all the way in 1st. After I get going,I depress only about half way. Hope this helps. Also,I have about 7000 mi with no squeeks.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys! I will definitely show this to the dealer

Quick Reply: Depress Clutch 1/3rd of the Way?