Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dented tail-gate while opening the soft top

Old 02-12-2009, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't understand either...
Old 02-12-2009, 05:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by michelle@az
...but apparently guam has 1 jk on it.
No, there are actually a good number here. I just think there are no rental agencies that rent them out like on Oahu and other Hawaiian islands.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

were you drunk when you seen all there dents i dont understand
Old 02-12-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see how that would happen, if the dent is actually a corner of the gate bent outward. You could drop the top and then close the gate on it. I have almost done this a couple times and have to make sure the top is clear of the gate before I close the gate.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just picture, you've got the tailgate open. As your slowly bring the soft top from the half way point to the full back position, the soft top has the abilty to fall further back the just the folded down position. I honestly almost did it the other day. We've been getting some rediculously warm weather, like mid 70's, so I've been able to take the top down quite a few times lately. Last time I did, a big gust of wind caught my soft top and about stretched it out back wards as I was folding it back. I could totally see it happen. Glad it didn't.

To those who might have had this happen. Get in touch with a local PDR(Paintless Dent removal) company. You'd be amazed at what a skilled PDR tech can do. My brother-in-law has over 10 years of experience and man it amazing to watch!

-Chad-
Old 02-12-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Davidgogiants
were you drunk when you seen all there dents i dont understand
ditto... anyone have pics?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got my 08 JK used and it has dents on the top right and the top left corners of the gate.
My soft top is also a little beaten and thrashed. I'm guessing that parts of the soft top got trapped in there.

Zipper for the rear window is screwed and the pin is coming away which makes it impossible to remove the rear window.

I think I'll get a new soft top for it.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think what causes it (mine is dented also) is the rear window bar not being seated correctly in the plastic "c" channels. when you close the tail gate, it pushes the upper corner of the gate out. i pushed mine back in by hand.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

PICTURES PLEASE... my brain doesn't work without pictures
Old 04-26-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelle, you probably did what I did early on... if you place either of the black plastic retainers (for the rear window bar) too close in toward the center, when you close the tailgate you WILL bend the thin top lip of the tailgate. In other words, make sure both plastic retainers are completely far enough out of the doorway before closing the tailgate.

Quick Reply: Dented tail-gate while opening the soft top