Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dented tail-gate while opening the soft top

Old 02-07-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dented tail-gate while opening the soft top

i'm working in Hawaii this week, and when i went to pick up my rental car, it was the very last one on the lot. i walked by about 12 jeeps, and each one had a bend in the tailgate (sometimes right side, sometimes both) where it must have hit the soft top when people probably put it down wrong.

Then as i was going around to dinner and the beaches i started to check out all the wranglers in the parking lots, and they all had dents/bent metal in their tail gates

I saw maybe about 2 wranglers with the top put down correctly, mostly they were bunched up, with the windows still attached and flopping out.

i'll try to get a pic of one when i return my car today.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah, please. I'm not really sure what you're talking about. I can't imagine anyone trying to fold the soft top down with the windows still installed. That would really ruin a day. But, then again, is the people don't own JKs, they probably have no idea what they're doing.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Freaky.

My company occasionally sends me to Hawaii for business trips and I have to say that some of the most abused vehicles I've ever rented are on Oahu.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Newbie

I noticed the same thing. He's talking about the upper left or right corners of the tailgate. I would amuse myself scoping out all the JK's (I think there are more JK's per capita in HI than any place else) to see if they had the same issue, and more often than not they were bent, either one side or the other. Poor JK's.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 PM
JK Newbie

i guess im an idiot, for the past year i have had a dent in my upper right hand corner of my tailgate, proly within a month or two of buying it and i couldnt figured out what did it, so how was the soft top responsible, i take off my side windows andfold it down i dont see what it could have caught on, when the wether changes ill take the top off andsee what happens...damn thats what dented it
Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

i didn't manage to get any pics. i don't know if it is from the soft top going down, i just assumed it was because i saw some put down so horribly wrong. mostly its dented on the right hand side, but some have both sides dented.

i think hawaii does have the most jeeps, its all they rent, and al lot of people drive them. i was going to try to find one in guam to get a pic of, but apparently guam has 1 jk on it.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey michelle. Glad to see you fept your jeep. You were selling it right? Sorry, hijack over.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

My rental in Kauai was a 4dr and that thing was trashed. I think that the people that rent them have no clue on how to put the top down which explains the windows still attached. I saw JK's everywhere and people driving them around with the top down and the tropical rain pooring in on them..
Old 02-11-2009, 09:37 PM
JK Newbie

if yah want ill post my dent
Old 02-12-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't really know what you guys are talking about how can you dent the gate with the soft top?

Quick Reply: Dented tail-gate while opening the soft top