Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dented Hood, repair?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope this guy offered to pay for it?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

What the hell!! Is he still your friend? If he doesn't pay for it, tell him the friendship is OVER!! Jumping on your hood! What an ass.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a similar dent from snow falling off my roof. (LOTS of snow)
Had it checked by 2 body shops, both said that they could pop it out but that the structure under the hood would never be the same and it wouldn't be near as good. A friend of mine who does some body work popped it for me and after that while driving down the road the dented area would go up and down slightly. I took it and had it replaced. Insurance covered it after my deductable and rate never went up. (act of god).
Old 09-03-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, the guy is still my friend.. he was completely wasted so i'm not going to get pissed off at him for his retard actions but he will help me fix it.

I am going to call my insurance and see what they say about having it replaced.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nick526
I like the sound of that.

Thanks for all the input guys, I'll see if I can tap the dent out.

hair dryer.
compressed air can (like you use to spray the dust out of the computer keyboard) spray with can upside own it sprays out liquid nitrogen (I think not too good with the elements.)

Get it nice and hot with the hair dryer then immediately spray it; the freezing cold nitrogen hitting the hot metal will pop the dent.

search you tube for hair dryer dent removal.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Beat it out of him. It'll be more fun.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

I you want to keep it looking new your best bet is to get the hood replaced. As someone else mentioned, hoods are not usually good candidates for repair due to the excessive heat from the engine. I would imagine this would be even more true on the JK since the sheet metal seems so thin on most of the body panels.

On the other hand, if you're going to spend a lot of time on the trails and figure it was only a matter of time anyway then just pull it the best you can and live with it.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nick526
Yeah, the guy is still my friend.. he was completely wasted so i'm not going to get pissed off at him for his retard actions but he will help me fix it.

I am going to call my insurance and see what they say about having it replaced.
I think this should read "HE WILL fix it" since he did it wasted then that means he had absolutely NO concern for your property or that of any one else. He did it drunk -- make him pay for it sober. If your insurance company is going to replace then make him pay your deductable.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Phase one: Ask friend if he will pay for it. Let him try to claim it through his insurance. Inform him of phase two, it may inspire him to come up with tha cash. Bottom line is he should pay for it. If he doesn't, go to phase two.

Phase two: Call your insurance company, and tell them what happened. They will probably advise you to file a police report. Do it. Just because your friend was drunk and is your friend is no excuse for his behaivior. People need to take responsibility for their actions, regardless of sobriety. Drunk drivers can't use the excuse, "I was drunk and wasn't thinking clearly when I got behind the wheel and caused an accident." Let your insurance handle it. They will get their money back out of him and it shouldn't make your rates go up - you were not at fault. Your rates will go up next year anyway.

Finally, don't settle for a repair of the hood. Get a new hood. Often, if you take it to a shop of your choice, you have to deal with the shop directly if the repair is not to your satisfaction, once the insurance company cuts you a check, they are out of the ball game. If you take it to a shop they recommend, they will usually stand behind the work and deal with the shop for you. That means, if you take it to your shop, and they fix it, but you are unhappy with the fix, good luck getting them to replace the hood without having to reach into your own pocket. If you go to the insurance company's shop, and they repair it, and you are unhappy with it, you call the insurance company, reinitiate the claim, say the fix was bad and you are unsatisfied. The insurance company deals with the shop, i.e. doesn't pay them, and buys you a new hood. It may take several trys and lots of calls to the insurance company, but thats better than a flat out "no" from your shop. Now, if an aftermarket hood is what you are after, let them cut you a check, buy the hood, and install it yourself. Insurance company might require receipts, but if you want to fix it yourself, they have to let you.

Good luck. I hope it all works out in your favor in the end. And don't worry about hurting your friendship with a police report. He was the one that initially damaged the friendship when he damaged your property. A real friend who values the relationship would offer to pay on his own.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:16 AM
JK Freak

If all esle fails get a plunger (the red ones do the best) and apply it to the center of the dent. Make sure you have a good seal on it. then pull very fast away from the the hood.

Quick Reply: Dented Hood, repair?