Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Defogger causes fog?

Old 01-04-2015, 12:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ntropy
Make sure your A/C "snowflake" is turned on. The button may seem counter-intuitive with the heat on, but it's the condenser and the drying effect will help get the humidity off of the inside of the windows.
You don't need to turn the A/C on, it comes on when defrost or defrost/floor is selected. Also, not to be an ass but it's the compressor not condenser. The condenser is mounted in front of the radiator.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by 07 Rescue Green
You don't need to turn the A/C on, it comes on when defrost or defrost/floor is selected. ...
Unless, of course, that's what's broken and manually turning it on works because it bypasses the broken electrical circuit.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Any defroster is all about getting the mix of cold and hot air just right. I tend to adjust it toward the cooler side and it clears right up.
As you know, the AC is turned on because it reduces the humidity in the air. The drier air is heated (which further reduces its relative humidity), then flows over the windshield and evaporates condensation.
The hotter the air, the faster it works, so I turn the heating to high from the start, and it removes the condensation in seconds.

Last edited by GJeep; 01-04-2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
As you know, the AC is turned on because it reduces the humidity in the air. The drier air is heated (which further reduces its relative humidity), then flows over the windshield and evaporates condensation.
The hotter the air, the faster it works, so I turn the heating to high from the start, and it removes the condensation in seconds.
That doesn't work for me. Not here in FL anyways. If I put it on heat it fogs worse. If I put it on cool, you can actually see it defog from the bottom up.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
That doesn't work for me. Not here in FL anyways. If I put it on heat it fogs worse. If I put it on cool, you can actually see it defog from the bottom up.
Out of curiosity, I'd like to understand why it behaves differently in FL and over here.

Here, humidity reaches 75% , either in the pretty hot summer or in the winter.
In the summer, when the AC works, even with windows opened an inch or so, there's sometimes condensation, and adding the heating evaporates the condensation faster.
Today, much rain and 12 Celsius (~53ºF), I tried your way.
Evaporating was accelerated once I dialed to high heating.
Do you refer to lower temp' than 50ºF ?
Maybe the windshield is much colder to begin with, so warmer air that touches it shrinks much more, causing condensation?

Last edited by GJeep; 01-04-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:48 AM
JK Junkie

I have always heard that equalizing the temperature between outside and inside is what prevents condensation, and I've found that to be true, at least in my case. If it's warmer on the inside the condensation still forms, but on the outside. And vice-versa.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:54 AM
JK Junkie

I just googled it. I use the quick fix (equalizing temperature) option and you use the comfortable (evaporation) option.

How to Deal with Foggy Windows - The Allstate Blog

Last edited by 14Sport; 01-04-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:21 AM
JK Junkie

I know the physics and what's the dew point, and that's exactly what I don't understand... why does it work the opposite way for me...

Quote from your link: "On a hot, humid day, the opposite happens, when the muggy air outside your car reaches the dew point against your windshield after it’s cooled by your AC system."

This happens both outside and inside my windshield.
On a hot, humid day, or rather evening, near the sea shore, I start driving, AC on, and get condensation inside the windshield...
Without turning the heating on, the AC alone won't cope with it.
I can only guess that the cold AC air creates yet more condensation or at least won't evaporate -- but that's cold air on a warm window...

There's condensation when taking something cold from the fridge out to warmer air, never when putting something in the fridge...

It's pretty silly to have to turn the heater on when its so hot outside, just to be able to drive... or having to turn the AC off.

Last edited by GJeep; 01-04-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default :)

it helps if u stop breathing sometimes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	a2101fa73c66c376b755227b2404ec45.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	590481  
Old 01-04-2015, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GJeep
I know the physics and what's the dew point, and that's exactly what I don't understand... why does it work the opposite way for me...

Quote from your link: "On a hot, humid day, the opposite happens, when the muggy air outside your car reaches the dew point against your windshield after it’s cooled by your AC system."

This happens both outside and inside my windshield.
On a hot, humid day, or rather evening, near the sea shore, I start driving, AC on, and get condensation inside the windshield... without turning the heating on, the AC alone won't cope with it.
I can only guess that the cold AC air creates yet more condensation or at least won't evaporate -- but that's cold air on a warm window...

There's condensation when taking something cold from the fridge out to warmer air, never when putting something in the fridge...

It's pretty silly to have to turn the heater on when its so hot outside, just to be able to drive... or having to turn the AC off.
I hardly use heat, I hardly use AC. For me it's windows down immediately. That's the way I like it. If my inside window is foggy I blast some cool air on it and then shut it off again. If the outside is foggy I slap the wipers at it. With the windows down the temperature neutralizes quickly. I have used my defroster MAYBE 3 times since I bought my Jeep, well over a year ago, and each time less than 3 minutes. So I am by no means an expert. I choose the prevention route where you choose the cure. Both work.

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
it helps if u stop breathing sometimes

Quick Reply: Defogger causes fog?