Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Death Wobble and Steering Stabilizer/Track Bar

Old 01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble and Steering Stabilizer/Track Bar

I took my '07 unlimited X into the shop this morning to get it looked at because I experienced the "death wobble" on the highway and it scared the hell out of me. After the Jeep people looked at it, they called me and told me I need a new steering stabilizer. Luckily, the Jeep is still under warranty, so the new SS is free of charge.

But I've heard that steering stabilizer failure is not the actual cause of the death wobble. I've read on the forum that the underlying problem is probably with the track bar and it's bracket. So does this mean that the people at the shop are just covering up the bigger problem with a new steering stabilizer? Should I ask them to check the track bar? Or would they have already done that when looking at the steering stabilizer? Is there any way I can check for myself? Call me stupid, but I'm not even sure where exactly the front track bar is...
Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

assuming that you did in fact have death wobble, the guys at your shop don't know what the hell they are talking about and you really should have your track bar mounts examined for any signs of fatigue or tearing. if they check out, you need to make sure that the track bar bushings are in good condition and that the mounting bolts are tightend to 125 ft. lbs. of torque. if your jeeps suspension and steering components are all in good order, you should not need a steering stabilizer at all. THIS IS FACT and NOT an opinion.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

In my case it was a blown bushing on my track bar and the axle mounts were eggholed out.

My Jeep has aftermarket mods though and were installed improperly in the very beginning which caused the problem.

All fixed now though- a couple parts- a little welding to fix the wallowed holes and new aftermarket steering stabilizer fixed me back to perfect.

- I take it yours is stock?

Edit:
It didn't need the steering stabilizer- but we thought it would beef it up even more.

Last edited by Dizzyliz; 01-06-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, my JK is stock. I guess I should call them and tell them I want them to look at the track bar and the brackets while they have it in the shop. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I called the guy at the shop and asked if they checked the track bar and the brackets. He immediately stated that they check it and there was nothing wrong. I even specifically asked about cracks or wear in the metal, and he said "nope, it was just the stabilizer."

So I guess if they say they checked the track bar, there isn't much more I can ask. Maybe it wasn't the death wobble that I experienced, but my problem fit some descriptions I've read on the forum (violent shaking and jerking.)
Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

well, if you did have DW, hopefully, your guys at least tightend up all your bolts to spec. assuming you just had a loose bolt (not uncommon), that will fix your problem right there. however, if you have a mount that is going bad, they will be seeing you again sooner or later steering stabilzer or not.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

I hope it works out for you ----> Keep us posted

Old 01-06-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem happen to me! Swapped my wheels and tires back to the factory wheels as I was taking my JK on a long road trip. Unfortunately didn't expect any off-road adventures for this trip so thought the stock tires would ride better for the long drive. Drive out was great with no issue. However, on the way back out of the blue experienced death wobble. Had never gotten this before and wondered what was going on. Thought maybe it was something to with one of the stock tires being way out of balance or such. Next I checked my Terraflex front and rear adjustable track bars and everything else I could think of... Swapped back to my normal wheels and 35's. - Nope, wobble came back. I then replaced the stock steering stablilizer with an aftermarket SS. Problem solved. No wobble at all since and tracks perfect again.

Last edited by paintslinger77; 01-06-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

a steering stabilizer justs masks problems. So if you just want to mask the problem then get a big redneck style dual steering stabilizer and be happy with that.

I experienced death wobble a week ago. I drove home and low and behold the trackbar was loose. No lateral play but definately a half inch or so of fore and aft play. Torqued it down to 125ft/lbs and magically the DW disappeared. I have a stock stabilizer and have 0 intentions of wasting my money on an upgrade. Hydro assist will be the only change i make when I get dana 60s.

Why not check the trackbar mount/bracket/bolt yourself instead of having some guy at the dealership tell you he did what he said he did. I guess I just have had bad luck with dealerships, because most are either ignorant or dishonest.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Checking the track bar for myself would make me feel more comfortable. The only problem is, I am a total novice at this kind of stuff and I wouldn't really know where to look or what to look for. I'm definitely not a mechanic by any means, so any advice would be much appreciated. I don't have special tools or anything, so I'm not sure if I would be able to do much if I did find something wrong.

So in short, I need to know exactly where to look and what to look for. (Sorry I might sound kind of stupid...)

Quick Reply: Death Wobble and Steering Stabilizer/Track Bar