Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dealers get it wrong too...

Old 07-17-2024, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dealers get it wrong too...

I am in the process of getting my Rubicon going again.

Since I had to drain the coolant, I went to a dealership relatively close to me. I asked them for the coolant for a 2012 Jeep Wrangler and the parts guy returned quickly. The sold me the coolant and I looked at the part number. It wasn't what I remembered so I asked, "this is for a 2012?". The said yes and I left. I got home and checked the part number, it is OAT and not HOAT that the vehicle uses.

The trip back up there is on me. I should have asked them to look it up.

Even when dealing with the dealership, make sure to have the part numbers with you.

Old 07-17-2024, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Yup . The super quick visual check on that one is the HOAT is 5yr/100k miles on the big sticker, and the OAT is 10yr/150k miles. IDK, but that one always just stuck in my head and is easier than part numbers to remember. Either way, they should not have gotten that one wrong!
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (07-17-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 03:17 AM
JK Newbie

I think these had 100k miles on the label but no mention of years.

Ehhh like I said, on me. I should have asked them to double check. Was a day off with a bunch of stuff to do and I had already stood at that counter for 35 mins.

I'll just get them exchanged and hopefully finish everything of this weekend.
Old 07-20-2024, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

And the saga continues....

Went back to the dealer to exchange the coolant I bought for the correct coolant. The guy at the parts counter had no idea and looked it up on the computer, but than asks another guy who happened to walk in. The other guy says, no that is the right coolant it is the pink coolant they use.

I said great but color really doesn't tell much. Told them I looked up the part number and it was OAT coolant and my 2012's used HOAT. They then asked for the VIN so I said no problem let me make a call or I can give you the VIN of my wife's which I bought a month before my I purchased my Rubicon. I also told them I had the owners manual from both that said use HOAT.

The new guy said it makes no difference they are all using the 150k coolant now. I said OK great they are now, but then they didn't and HOAT is specified. Mixing HOAT and OAT isn't going to go well. What I was given is OAT.

He looks me in the eye and says "coolant will gel for any reason... you look at it wrong and it will gel. I have seen brand new cars with gel. For that you have to think was water put in and was it tap or distilled that cause it to gel...". I said no worries, handed them the part number for the HOAT coolant and said just get me this. They got my coolant. I verified it and I left.

I don't think I would take my vehicle there to be repaired or purchase a vehicle from them.
Old 07-20-2024, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can't fix stupid...
The following users liked this post:
IIQII (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,677 Posts

that might be the most incompetent parts counter at a dealer that I've heard of.
Old 07-20-2024, 10:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
that might be the most incompetent parts counter at a dealer that I've heard of.
Agreed, had me shaking my head....

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2024, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 395 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
You can't fix stupid...
OR Lazy.. Should have looked it up in Star Parts by the VIN #. This is our universe today. BTW.. Every bus I work with is in dire need of Competent New Hire Young employees..

Quick Reply: Dealers get it wrong too...