Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dealer says 1 of 3 problems for my locker not engaging. What do these mean?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer says 1 of 3 problems for my locker not engaging. What do these mean?

Front locker on my 07 JKUR will not engage. Had it at the dealer getting the TSB's up to date (I just bought jeep). Told them to check it out, but not spend to much time on it. Said they looked at it for 30 minutes ($40). And the wrote the following on my paper work:

"Locker is not engaging front locker ino, checked TIPM module for codes- none, checked fuses/relays for lockers- OK, checked ground circuit Z905 at front locker solenoid. Good ground, no power signal at solenoid circuit T-520. Will need more further diagnosis to determine if cause is wiring issue circuits A104, T520, or TIPM fault"

The guy I bought this from had done the locker bypass switches front and rear. Rear works fine using bypass or factory switch. Front does nothing with either switch (yes, 4 lo, lock click button twice).

Any ideas? I know wiring and jeeps, but don't know all the dealer lingo/tech talk.

What and where do I test?

Thanks a TON for any and all help!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can you call the guy you bought it from? Maybe he has ideas?
Old 10-14-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 19Delta
Front locker on my 07 JKUR will not engage. Had it at the dealer getting the TSB's up to date (I just bought jeep). Told them to check it out, but not spend to much time on it. Said they looked at it for 30 minutes ($40). And the wrote the following on my paper work:

"Locker is not engaging front locker ino, checked TIPM module for codes- none, checked fuses/relays for lockers- OK, checked ground circuit Z905 at front locker solenoid. Good ground, no power signal at solenoid circuit T-520. Will need more further diagnosis to determine if cause is wiring issue circuits A104, T520, or TIPM fault"

Any ideas? I know wiring and jeeps, but don't know all the dealer lingo/tech talk.
They're saying they looked at all the quick simple stuff, but because you said to not spend to much time on it, they didn't go too in-depth. So, in order to actually find the problem they will have to dig deeper, but seem to have it narrowed down to "wiring issue circuits A104, T520, or TIPM fault".
Old 10-14-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Could be a bad relay on the right front fender, near the battery.
Switch the two relays and see if the trouble moves to the rear locker.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Could be a bad relay on the right front fender, near the battery.
Switch the two relays and see if the trouble moves to the rear locker.
They checked that, but worth a shot! I called the guy I bought it from, he said he had no idea.

Anybody have more knowledge on what "wiring issue circuits A104, T520, or TIPM fault" is?

Hoping somebody has a service manual!

Thanks for all the ideas, keep em coming! :-)
Old 10-15-2011, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You could run a 12 volt jumper wire to the wire near the axle and listen for the click to see if power is getting to the locker, or mb use a circuit tester on it to see if you are getting power down there. I think the hot wire is the purple one with the white stripe.
That's the weird thing, with key on, engine off, wife hits the bypass switch, I can here the relay click, AND a click at the diff. Just went driving again in 4lo. Can't get to engage. Back locks right in using factory switch or bypass, factory switch dash light stays lit, bypass switch it flashes, but it's engaged. Front won't engage either way...just flashes light. :-( But I can't see why. If I was reading this thread, I would tell the guy it's locking, but the light is flashing from a bad sensor, But that is not the case, turning on gravel it's very obvious the rear is locked and tires are fighting each other, but the front is smooth rolling. (of course it's got a little slip cause it's in 4x4).

I am totally frustrated.

Quick Reply: Dealer says 1 of 3 problems for my locker not engaging. What do these mean?