Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dealer Checks?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer Checks?

So, I had my JK in for a state inspection, and it passed. (whoo) I hate inspections... but that's another rant.

I poked my head under the hood out of boredom this past weekend, while doing some work on my wife's car (new fuel filter).

Her car was low on coolant, so that's what lead me to poke around the Jeep.

Anyway; less than a week after visiting a dealer, I poke my head under the hood.

Low on coolant (like OUT of coolant) in the reservoir (cold engine)

and low on power steering fluid.

Now, I know this isn't a $100,000 Tesla that doesn't use silly things like engine air filters, oil changes, or spark plugs, etc.

However, I thought that the checking of fluids, at dealers was common place? This thing is still under the 3/36 warranty...

The dealer hasn't done me wrong, so I'm not going to call them out on it, but am I wrong to think they should have glanced at this stuff?

Especially the coolant level!
Old 12-01-2014, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless it's specifically called out as a check that was performed on a repair order or included as part of a specific service, it probably never happened.

I actually find myself checking fluids and double-checking all dealer work. It's pretty amazing how techs will cobble stuff back together or forget to secure things, or even fill them full of fluid.

I don't automatically assume dealers do bad work, but it's happened often enough that doing my own once-over when I get the car back is now a way of life.

Quick Reply: Dealer Checks?