Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is the Dealer blowing smoke up my a**?

Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems used or new with interest rates the way they are not hardly any difference? I got my 2013 for close to the same price of a 2009 they had on the lot? And it was the same with other dealers in my area. Seems like jeeps hold there value better than anything out there.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt
You think it is tough on a 2010 taking a hit on trade-in value, you ought to try trading in a 2013. I have a 2013 JKU that I wanted to trade on a new Rubicon and local dealer tells me there is no market for a used 2013. He said low miles excellent shape used wranglers are pretty much worthless but for some strange reason new 2013 Rubicons now they are worth top dollar.
Absolutely not true they are just trying to beat you down on the trade go to another dealer. You'll take a hit but not that bad and you can still get new Rubicons below invoice I paid 1300 under invoice (28,500) for mine so shop around and be prepared to drive a bit to get a deal. I actualy flew to Atlanta for mine only 150 for the plane ticket but saved me thousands of what I could find locally.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Most dealers will only pay what the car is worth at a dealer only auction, regardless if they plan to keep the car or not. There is a formula for finding these numbers as they are not usually made public.

Formula: Use KBB trade in value and mark FAIR for value regardless of if you think your car in rated higher. Auction selling prices are within +- $500 of this price.

All other KBB pricing smoke and mirrors.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RoysRig
Look at it from a buyers standpoint. Your at the dealer and looking at a vehicle that looks clean but the carfax shows that there was some type of accident. It doesn't state the severity of the damage. But the dealer tells you that it was very minor. Do you believe the dealer? Of course not, they lie lie lie! So the ding on the carfax is going to make the vehicle a little bit harder to sell. Will the dealer try to sell it as if there was never anything wrong with it? Sure. Who wouldn't. But this day and age most people know to look up carfax before buying a vehicle. So I don't know that the dealer isn't that far off what other dealers would give you for it.
I agree with this. The paper trail through CarFax does unfortunately weigh heavy with both dealer and buyers.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Long story, but been here, done that. The carfax report can really F you over in your situation. I don't know what you can do now except check with other dealers or sell it yourself. If someone has a problem with the carfax report, tell them the truth and offer to let them take it to any shop of their choice to get checked out.

Since it was the bumper it was probably not worth turning into your insurance company. For future reference, to people this happens to, do some research to see what the total diminished value is on your vehicle after the accident and got your company or the other company from the driver who hit you to cut your a check for the average amount from your estimates. Hindsight is 20/20.

Listen, after I got F over by the carfax on a previous vehicle, I had a new 09 Rubicon. Had it for 2 weeks and a lady rear ended me. No damage to my car, but her car was messed up. It needed a new bumper and hood. She was at fault and my tailgate opened and closed. She wanted to exchange info. I took a pic of her license plate and was like, ok see u later. She admitted fault and I said I would contact her if I found damage. I didn't want any info on my car regardless if there was damage or not so I was like ok, good luck and got the hell out of there. Now, I don't recommend this, but the lady lived two streets away from me so I risked leaving the scene and not giving her my info.

Oh and the dealerships lie! They low balled me and SWORE up and down they would never sell a car that has been in an accident and would send it straight to auction. KBB was $18,000 they gave me $10,000. Now I received $6,500 in rebates so that helped, but seeing the same car I traded in on their website listed the next day for $22,500 really pissed me off. My fault for believing their bullshit.

Sucks man. I feel your situation. Keep us posted.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealers are going to try to make money on the sale and on the trade. When you go to the dealer your trying to get the best deal for you and they are trying to get the best deal for them. I would try to sell on your own if you have time to wait.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

take a look at this.

Black Book Retail as of 08/26/2013

Extra Clean Clean Average Rough
Base $29,400 $28,350 $25,050 $22,775
Options $0 $0 $0 $0
Mileage ($1,150) ($600) $0 $0
Total $28,250 $27,750 $25,050 $22,775

Black Book Trade-In as of 08/26/2013

Clean Average Rough
Base $25,015 $22,700 $18,760
Options $0 $0 $0
Mileage ($600) $0 $0
Total $24,415 $22,700 $18,760

If you have navigation then it would go up more. Bottom line you should get more on trade
Old 08-25-2013, 04:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by daedalus
Here's a pic of the Jeep:

Attachment 491228
Jersey? I hope u didn't goto Pellegrino in Woodbury.......
Old 08-25-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hit a dear in my Armada and jacked the bumper up. I didn't want to claim it on the insurance plus pay the deductible so I traded it in on the JK. The dealership told me it was a good thing I didn't report it or I would have had a lot of $ taken off my trade.

Since then I've had a couple of cars hit my bumpers and I haven't reported them.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Guys, thanks for all the input. Yeah hindsight is 20/20. If I ever get into a minor fender bender again, I will be very careful about reporting anything. Overall my Rubi is in amazing condition. Maybe I just need to find the right buyer who can see that for himself.

BrightSilverRubicon - sounds like you learned your lesson the hard way, just like I did. Really sucks when someone else not only hits your car, but causes thousands of dollars in diminished value on your vehicle!

JerseyDevil - I went to Route 18 Chrysler in East Brunswick.

jetmechabq - Thanks for the info. Based on your numbers, it looks like the average Black Book trade-in is $22,700. Plus my Jeep has NAV so the trade-in should be at least $23,000.

Really not sure how I will proceed at this point. I'm thinking about just keeping the Jeep.

Quick Reply: Is the Dealer blowing smoke up my a**?