Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dead Spot or Hesitation during Acceleration

Old 06-10-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Dead Spot or Hesitation during Acceleration

When accelerating after upshifting, I frequently feel hesitant throttle response between 1200 and close to 2000 rpms for about 1/2 a seond or so. It doesn't do it all the time, but still does it fairly freqently. Then, the power comes on suddenly, and strongly.

Any thoughts as to a problem, or is this normal? It is a manual tranny.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same thing. It sucks. I've heard it's because when in 4L the throttle would be to responsive with out it.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:06 PM
JK Freak

mine does it too.. .just part of getting used to the fly by wire thing. my TJ and TJ would kinda do something similar... they'd go go go and then all of sudden REALLY GO!

but the JK isn't quite the same... but i do feel what you mean. i think its normal for the JK so i wouldn't worry that anything is wrong. I do notice it being less of an issue if you rev up more before shifting.. but then you're driving like a maniac (at least i do, haha!) to avoid that little blip and its sucking even more gas.. etc etc...

basically, i seemed to have gotten used to it and drive in a manner that isn't excessive, but keeps that from happening most of the time.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is an automatic, but very similar thing after shifting. Kinda dead lagging spot. I got the hypertech programmer, and it is GONE! Even if you don't change the tires and need the spedo calibration from the programmer, it gives a little boost of power, gave me some good results for gas milage, and got rid of the lagging. I am guessing it will do the same for the manual tranny, but it is honestly like a different Jeep. Try it you will like it. And I think they have a money back guarantee if you don't.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

mine does it too...it's normal with this jeep as others have said...i do notice it happens more when i'm driving like an ass though....maybe it's just my jeep trying to tell me that....
Old 06-11-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

same here wish i had money for a super charger but my pockets are empty from all the other wonderful things i have done to my baby so far
Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

yupppp....same....
Old 06-11-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

me too, seems to happen around 1600 - 1700 rpm for me
Old 06-11-2008, 11:12 AM
JK Jedi

Had some similar sypmtoms, what I would consider minor though. This was the one thing my CAI actually did improve though.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are accelerating and dropping the RPMs to 1,200 on an upshift (and still trying to accelerate) you are really lugging the engine.

Personally I don't even like to cruise under 1,500 RPM let alone accelerate below 1,500 rpm. Lugging the engine is about one of the worst things you can do to it.

Actually now that I think about it it wouldn't suprise me to find out that the throttle opening is limited by the drive-by-wire when load is very high and RPM is very low (when you're lugging the engine too much) to prevent excessive wear and tear on the bearings and to prevent pre-ignition/detonation.

Last edited by Doc_D; 06-11-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Dead Spot or Hesitation during Acceleration