Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dead '07 JKU engine

Old 12-18-2014, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a timing chain to me. I had a timing chain stretch and jump teeth on a 76 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi) that was only 4 years old. Replaced the chain and chain guides myself and had it back running in 3 days.

Good luck with whatever you find. Here is some more information:
http://www.koiautoparts.com/professi....8_engines.pdf

And a video on the timing chain...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YOS_OzK5XI
Old 01-23-2015, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I ended up taking it to 4 Wheel Parts and getting a new ATK engine (rebuilt). I've read various accounts of the ATK on the internet and spoke to some folks that said this is a great option.

I got it back a week ago. Interestingly it is much quieter than the last engine. Maybe the noises I heard before that sounded like a buzzing heat shield on acceleration was actually the problem (whatever that may have been).

I also think it is getting better gas mileage, although it is too soon to tell. I only have about 100 miles on the new engine. I'm not sure how that could be possible though. Although I have been very easy on the gas.

I did throw an engine warning code on Wednesday. It is a P0132 which appears to be an O2 sensor problem. I am guessing this will need to be replaced anyway. 4WP wants me to bring it back in to check it out.

My manifolds were cracked too so I was out the door, parts and labor, for $5100 bucks. That includes the new engine, water pump (precautionairy), headers (to replace the cracked exhaust manifolds), belts, all parts and labor.

Pic, but the outside looks the same = Awesome!

Last edited by JKUBryan; 05-18-2015 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Dead '07 JKU engine