Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Day Time Running Lights?

Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Austrian spec Rubicon has DRLs too. This makes it likely that a dealer can programme them in.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

The DRLs are mandatory in Canada. They are a much lower intensity then low beam. A US based dealer may or may not have the code to programme them in. He may physically be able to do it but he may not be aware that he can.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Girlfriends father is a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Tech...

He turned on the DRL's on my parents 05 Grand Cherokee and he believes he can connect his StarScan tool to any Chrysler vehicle and activate the DRL feature..

By default Chrysler vehicles that stay in the US have them off and most exports have them on.

He did say tho that he never turned them on on a JK yet.. mine will be the first, anything that may avoid an accident is a + in my book.
The following users liked this post:
OmegaMan (02-04-2020)
Old 09-25-2007, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can you update the thread once its done. Ask him to provide you with a mini write up so it can be passed to other techs when they say it can't be done.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

AZ drivers suck!! And when I lived there, I had 2 vehicles. One w/DRL and one w/out. When I was in the one w/out (suv), people would pull out in front of me all the damn time. When I was in the one with (sedan), no one pull out in front of me. I believe that they help in that case. An on coming vehicle will stand out just a bit more and for whatever reason, people aren't as likely to pull out in front of you.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by flyer415
Can you update the thread once its done. Ask him to provide you with a mini write up so it can be passed to other techs when they say it can't be done.

absolutely... but dont be surprised if its not for a few months, I just ordered the Jeep a week ago today
Old 02-02-2020, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Don't know if this is the right place to ask a DRL question but here goes and point to the right place if not:

Just easily installed a set of aftermarket LX Light Tail Lights with the DRL feature. The install was "cut and dry" but the DRLs aren't working. The LX plug has a slot of "running light's" from the male (JK) end but the JK doesn't have a running light feature. What wire do I plug in the JK plug to correspond with the LX Light plug? Thanks in advance for any assistance. OmegaMan
Old 02-02-2020, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

"DRL are stupid. they waste gas, cause accidents, and are ugly..." Sabre tooth, don't know where you get statistics from but DRLs have almost completely eliminated head on crashes here in Canada. And the voltage to the DRL circuit is reduced so the lights are not bright. Guys dicking with illegal bulbs are the ones that have bright obnoxious lights. Driving at 75mph vs 65mph in one jeep wastes waaaaaay more gas than a 1000 sets of DRLs do. Remember ECUs put more charge on a battery during vehicle coast to help reduce consumption as well. So the designers are thinking. Big change in accident rate in Canada when DRLs were mandated in 1981. I understand if a US model needs to be converted it can be turned on in the ECU. I highly recommend them only for safety and they are proven to prevent accidents.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OmegaMan
Don't know if this is the right place to ask a DRL question but here goes and point to the right place if not:

Just easily installed a set of aftermarket LX Light Tail Lights with the DRL feature. The install was "cut and dry" but the DRLs aren't working. The LX plug has a slot of "running light's" from the male (JK) end but the JK doesn't have a running light feature. What wire do I plug in the JK plug to correspond with the LX Light plug? Thanks in advance for any assistance. OmegaMan
Rusty on Forum Protocol so forgive the misstep by responding to my own message but I had to let you know that I think I've resolved the issue. Someone graciously used the term "StartScan Tool". Researched the AEV ProCal Module for the Jeep JK and it does the trick. I haven't tried it yet because there's a $170 cost involved but going to try it soon. It sounds like the right tool to calibrate my vehicle when I do a few mods including the ultimate 2.5" lift that my wife is already complaining about. Oh well, this is my new "project" and I'm gonna make the Battle Wagon battle worthy within the next 6 months. Thanks for the help and yes, you provided interesting dialogue and discussion. Learned much too!

Army Strong!!!
Old 02-05-2020, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by OmegaMan
Rusty on Forum Protocol so forgive the misstep by responding to my own message but I had to let you know that I think I've resolved the issue. Someone graciously used the term "StartScan Tool". Researched the AEV ProCal Module for the Jeep JK and it does the trick. I haven't tried it yet because there's a $170 cost involved but going to try it soon. It sounds like the right tool to calibrate my vehicle when I do a few mods including the ultimate 2.5" lift that my wife is already complaining about. Oh well, this is my new "project" and I'm gonna make the Battle Wagon battle worthy within the next 6 months. Thanks for the help and yes, you provided interesting dialogue and discussion. Learned much too!

Army Strong!!!
You can achieve most of the AEV features (if not all of them) with the Jscan app and an obd2 dongle. It'll allow you to choose what you'd like to use as your DRL's.

As far as your lights go- if they have a separate input (most do) then you'll want to find an ignition powered line and bring that over to your input....or use the Jscan and program some other light to be your DRL. I will say this though- I have trucklite led lights with the anti-flicker harness and the DRL feature caused some flicker in the headlights when using them as DRL. I set my parking lights as DRL and didn't notice any issues. You also have the option of using fog lights but I don't have any on my vehicle so that's not an option for me.
The following users liked this post:
OmegaMan (02-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Day Time Running Lights?