Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Day Time Running Lights?

Old 09-19-2007, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ursandal
I'm pretty sure all the JK's sold in Canada have them. I'm sure if you wanted them your dealer could make it happen. It's gotta be a simple plug and play type deal. I might just look into it now that I know it annoys some people!!:toung:

Al
I missed the fact that he was from Canada. It seems that they all have them there by law. I thought that all new cars for the last few years in the US had to have them as well (my wife's 06 LandCruiser has them). I guess not.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Thank, God, no it's not! I especially hate it when a vehicle is behind me with headlights/DRLs on, shining into my rear view mirror. Very distracting.

Only GM vehicles have them as corporate policy--it was their response to some vehicle problem a few years back that was killing folks. They promised to invest money into safety measures on future vehicles.

The only accident I've had in the last 40 years was when a very large delivery truck turned in front of my GM rental vehicle near Bedford, MA. Despite it being broad daylight, and my rental having DRLs, he didn't see me and turned so quickly that I couldn't avoid him--crashing into him at 35-mph.

All shining a light into someone's face will do is cause them to look away. A very dangerous thing on today's highways.
I have and have had many GM vehicles with DRLs, and I am convinced they help. Also, I've turned in front of vehicles I did not see. None ever had lights on of any kind. They can be annoying, but also can help. Ask motorcyclists why they run with the lights on. They don't solve the problem of people not seeing you, but they help. The insurance companies have data that supports this. That is why you get a discount. It saves them money. If it cost them money for no benefit, they wouldn't offer it. I'd bet GM has lots of data, too.

I'd love to set my Jeep up with them.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like DRLs. my previous cars have had DRLs and auto on/off at dusk/dawn.

no complaints at all.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikeyfl

no complaints at all.
The JKs don't have the auto on/off headlight feature, right? I have this on my Grand Cherokee and it's really convenient. I guess I am spoiled by some of the features that almost seem standard on all vehicles nowadays.

Last edited by uofawildcats; 09-19-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyfl

no complaints at all.
if implemented right, auto on/off are great. My friend's Cadillac has it and i love it.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, JKs don't have auto headlights, or auto climate control for that matter. Those things might be a good thing for Jeep to add to the Sahara some day though. They could call it the 'unpopular convenience group'

Uofawildcats, you must have a ZJ Limited... Or did the Laredo ever have auto lights as an option? My 97 doesn't, and ironically the DRLs didn't work either, even though it is a Canadian model.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
The insurance companies have data that supports this. That is why you get a discount.
What's missing is the data on DRLs interfering with driver's vision, contributing to distraction and accidents.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by echofoxtrot
Nope, JKs don't have auto headlights, or auto climate control for that matter. Those things might be a good thing for Jeep to add to the Sahara some day though. They could call it the 'unpopular convenience group'

Uofawildcats, you must have a ZJ Limited... Or did the Laredo ever have auto lights as an option? My 97 doesn't, and ironically the DRLs didn't work either, even though it is a Canadian model.
Do the JKs at least warn you if you leave your headlights on after you remove the keys (i.e., one of those warning bells)?
Old 09-20-2007, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
What's missing is the data on DRLs interfering with driver's vision, contributing to distraction and accidents.
Maybe because it doesn't exsist....How anyone can say making your vehicle more visible is dangerous is really hard to understand. The modern DRL operate at a reduced intensity and are no more a distraction than a school bus with it's regular headlights on. If DRL's interfer with your vision I recommend heading to Walmart and getting some of those old folk wrap around sun glasses!!

Al
Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uofawildcats
Do the JKs at least warn you if you leave your headlights on after you remove the keys (i.e., one of those warning bells)?
Yes there is a warning chime once you open the door. Also, if you turn off your headlights after you shut the engine down the lights will remain on for a period of time so you can see where you are walking in the dark. Just like a ZJ. However it's annoying when people who haven't heard of this feature remind you to turn your lights off.

Quick Reply: Day Time Running Lights?