Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Day Time Running Lights?

Old 09-19-2007, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goog grief, really DRL create this much hate and discontent?? I've always been a GM and Jeep guy and never thought twice about the things. I find it hard to believe that a DRL is bright enough for you to need to dim your rear view mirror during the day. Never been an issue for me anyway, Maybe we should only drive on cloudy days, that darn sun could be dangerous!!

As far as forgeting to turn your lights on, all the GM vehicle I have owned since 1997 have had automatic daylight sensors for turning the lights on at night. The problem I have when I drive one of the Jeeps is forgetting to turn the lights on since I'm used to my GM vehicle just doing it for me.

The thing is we'll never know how many accidents were avoided due to the DRL. You never will know if it was the lights that made you see the car or not before you pulled out.

Oh and "they waste gas"?? You gotta be kidding me. If you are that concerned about wasting gas sell your Jeep and buy a Honda, do your part to save the planet. I'm guesing these high powered stereos kids have these days use more juice than a set of DRL's. Better get rid of that computer in front of you too, useless waste of electricity!!

Al
Old 09-19-2007, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
DRL are stupid. they waste gas, cause accidents, and are ugly...

1. According to the article, if every car on the road had daytime running lights, we (Americans) would waste over 406 MILLION GALLONS OF GAS each year!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question424.htm

That article is based on $1.50 gas... its now $2.69 where I live... so feel free to triple the real cost.

and don't give me any of that 'human life is priceless' bull shit... it is NOT worth 1.8 BILLION a year to save a 'few' lives.
So.....

I could increase my gas mileage by turning off my lights, my radio, and any gizmos I might have plugged in through the cigarette lighter?

How much gas could I save by unplugging the battery all together?

Not as much as if I just didn't start the jeep, that's for sure.

I like DRL's as a concept, but would have implemented them differently.
A few LED's marking the corners/boundaries of a vehicle seems suitable.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:35 AM
Zee
JK Freak

DRL's run at 25-40% of regular brightness. They've never bothered me. Also, when it is snowing or raining (as it often does in Canada) or a person is driving on the highway, they do add an element of safety.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have geico and i told them i have daytime running light, my policy shows it but like the rest of you do not have them...just say u do, i always click yes when buying the policy or say yes to everyting......
Old 09-19-2007, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Surreal is all i have to say.
In regards to the reactions of some.
Canada has had them since the 90's they usually operate on the high beam filament at less than half voltage, fuel usage don't seeing it making any more of an impact than say having the extra weight of oversize tires or 40 lbs of stuff in the trunk.

In Canada it is proven they saves lives and what is the value of one life....depends on what u value i guess. Also cause we have national health care incidence regarding injuries due to accidents decrease by having daytime running lights, also our insurance cost that were sky rocketing leveld off after the introduction of DRL.

the lights work for multiple reasons so u can be seen by other cars so that u can see other cars and so that pedestrians can see u . also the gap between the head lights seems to be the way our eye/brain measures the travel speed of the vehicle we are looking at. so the should i go or wait is usually wait here in canada.

we don't even think about it up here it just makes plain sense to have them. safer for everyone. Also this is the standard in other countries around the world. Infact if u import a vehicle into canada it has to be retro fitted with DRL to meet out standards.

the only cars that don't have them up here are the police cars seems to be an issue with connecting the emergency sysetem into the DRL system. So another advantage easy to spot that cop coming up behind you.

relax and embrace change for the safety of if not you then others like the kid running out on the road, with the sun glare coming from behind u and into his eyes, or have patients for that cotton head that just pulled out infront of u cause she didn't see ya or didn't think u were going that fast.

a $10 device that saves millions in life, property, health care, insurance,

next to look for in safety flat black hoods...just like school buses. or how about a yellow brake light on the centre front of your car so that the vehicle that is turning in front of u knows that your break is on. look to the future where back up sensors or cameras standard on every vehicle. Or run flat tires standard. change and progress inevitable when it comes to safwty for the masses.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have to say that I'm for DRL's myself. Much easier when you're on a two lane road (like all roads here) and your trying to pass one of those semis lumbering up a hill. The only problem with them is that old cars don't have them, so you still have to be careful of them and you still get the ignorant ones driving around at dusk or in bad weather with no lights on at all.
There are only a few vehicles on the road that I noticed have really bright ones. They are usually the upscale vehicles... I knowthe 3rd gen Grand Cherokees are pretty bad for that, they'll almost hurt your eyes at midday. The JK on the other hand seems to have really dim ones (using the main headlights, not fogs), which I think are about perfect.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by WRAITHYJEEP
Surreal is all i have to say.
In regards to the reactions of some.

the only cars that don't have them up here are the police cars seems to be an issue with connecting the emergency sysetem into the DRL system. So another advantage easy to spot that cop coming up behind you.
I think it's not an issue with wiring, but more of a stealth issue. For the same reason, criminally intent minds would like to have no DRLS.

If you're staking out a place, and you can't turn off your lights....well I think I drew the picture well enough.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine has them
07 Wrangler X
They are brighter though when you turn the knob
Old 09-19-2007, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fattygio
Mine has them
07 Wrangler X
They are brighter though when you turn the knob
Are you sure? Everyone else says they do not come on the JK.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uofawildcats
Are you sure? Everyone else says they do not come on the JK.
I'm pretty sure all the JK's sold in Canada have them. I'm sure if you wanted them your dealer could make it happen. It's gotta be a simple plug and play type deal. I might just look into it now that I know it annoys some people!!:toung:

Al

Quick Reply: Day Time Running Lights?