Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Day Time Running Lights?

Old 09-18-2007, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Day Time Running Lights?

Did a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm trying to get an insurance quote and they want to know if the JK has Day Time Running Lights.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine certainly doesn't (07 JK Unlimited Sahara)

I'm curious now, how much does that affect your insurance price?

some of the things they seem to get hung up on amazes me.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

about $20 for 6 months and the answer is no you do not have daytime light
Old 09-18-2007, 07:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just turn the knob on....there ya go..$20 saved.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they dont have it standard, but i believe ive seen some after market lights that have it as an added feature.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have seen a JK with the driving lights on the front bumper being used as Daytime running lights.
No other lights were on... no tailights, no parking lights, and no headlights.
Maybe it was from Canada, where it is mandatory that all vehicles have daytime running lights.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rover1301
Maybe it was from Canada, where it is mandatory that all vehicles have daytime running lights.
for some reason i thought it was mandated here too.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy3rd
for some reason i thought it was mandated here too.
Thank, God, no it's not! I especially hate it when a vehicle is behind me with headlights/DRLs on, shining into my rear view mirror. Very distracting.

Only GM vehicles have them as corporate policy--it was their response to some vehicle problem a few years back that was killing folks. They promised to invest money into safety measures on future vehicles.

The only accident I've had in the last 40 years was when a very large delivery truck turned in front of my GM rental vehicle near Bedford, MA. Despite it being broad daylight, and my rental having DRLs, he didn't see me and turned so quickly that I couldn't avoid him--crashing into him at 35-mph.

All shining a light into someone's face will do is cause them to look away. A very dangerous thing on today's highways.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DRL SUCKS - Proof.

DRL are stupid. they waste gas, cause accidents, and are ugly...

1. According to the article, if every car on the road had daytime running lights, we (Americans) would waste over 406 MILLION GALLONS OF GAS each year!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question424.htm

That article is based on $1.50 gas... its now $2.69 where I live... so feel free to triple the real cost.

and don't give me any of that 'human life is priceless' bull shit... it is NOT worth 1.8 BILLION a year to save a 'few' lives.

2. they glare to all hell and blind me!

3. 'early' DRLs did not turn on the TAIL LIGHTS, I have seen MANY accidents waiting to happen because the driver of the (usually a rental car) would just start it, and drive off, seeing how there lights were 'on'... only to get rear ended in a few minutes!

4. they glare off and ruin the nice lines of the car (assuming its a nice car in the first place)

5. I 2nd the rear view mirror thing; I can't dim the rear mirror in my Rubicon, its auto dimming, but it doesn't do it duing the day! stupid option! I like the one old school in my Tahoe; I leave it 'dark' all the time, day or night... I can see fine with it dark!

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 09-19-2007 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe the system has improved, but I have a GM van with them. What a dangerous PIA. They are always on, so you are constantly hitting other drivers in the face in parking lots if they are in their car. Some vans apparently have a cancel you can press every time you start it, but mine does not. The only cancel is the e-brake switch. This illuminates the parking brake light, and chimes on occasion.

Plus if you are a motorcyclist or just a person that wants an extra level of safety, you have no advantage when you run your lights if every car has DRLs.

The last, and most dangerous part of all of this, is that you can forget to turn your lights on. Again, some newer vehicles apparently have a chime, mine does not. You get in at night, start it up. The front of the vehicle lights up, and then you drive away with no tail lights because you forget to turn on your lights. Great, extra safe!

My vehicle is operated as a commercial one. I can get a ticket in my state for not having these lights in working order. I may still take the bulbs out and risk the ticket. One of my employees made a 30 mile trip last month in the dark and forgot to turn on the lights. As he enters the office he casually says, "the dash lights are out on the Astro van"!!!!.

Quick Reply: Day Time Running Lights?