Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Damn zipper

Old 06-08-2014, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if I've ever closed my back "Window"... You can also rub it with a bar of soap or a candle.. Silicone spray is great too.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the tips. I may have to use them next time. Hope not,though.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hang in there. You'll get better and better at it each time you take it off and put it back on. The first time I attempted to put the rear window back on, it took me over 30 minutes! Now that I keep the teeth well lubed with paraffin (candle) and I've got some experience, I put it back on in less than a minute.

To add another suggestion: I've found that it is much easier to deal with the rear window (and any other part of the soft top) when it's good and warm outside. For me, everything gets a bit easier once it gets past 75 degrees.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. We actually put the top down yesterday for a quick cruise to the beach. Got home and put everything back together and the zipping was much better.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I the only one that leaves the rear window on when dropping the top? I only unzip it far enough on each side to get the flaps free. I don't even touch the tailgate or the tailgate bar. I just leave it all connected. The top lays pretty flat when down too.

On an even lazier day, I just flip back the top and roll up the rear window with the tail gate still attached and put the elastic straps around it. Lol.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Collyn
Am I the only one that leaves the rear window on when dropping the top? I only unzip it far enough on each side to get the flaps free. I don't even touch the tailgate or the tailgate bar. I just leave it all connected. The top lays pretty flat when down too.

On an even lazier day, I just flip back the top and roll up the rear window with the tail gate still attached and put the elastic straps around it. Lol.
That's what I do when I put my top down. I usually just run no side windows or doors and leave the rear rolled up and hung via elastic straps and keep the top up to keep my kid covered from the sun. He's only a year and a half old so I figure I should keep him shaded not only for his skin health but to avoid him whining from the sun in his eyes..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2014, 03:33 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

I do the same as you guys. Roll it up in those elastic straps and drop it. Specifically because I was in the OPs shoes. In the rain. Lol
Old 06-18-2014, 11:07 PM
JK Newbie

That tight top and rear window zipper! I had trouble unzipping it off for almost half and hour because it seemed like it was one tooth off so the pulls wouldn't get to release point! And that was when the Jeep became mine as I cut my finger on it and left blood Putting it back on made sure the rear corners weren't tucked in so could try to work with both pieces flat as possible. Doing it at night and slight drizzle was just a bonus.

Good tip about using a candle to rub on the teeth. Going to sacrifice one tomorrow and do all them zippers!

Last edited by RJEEPO; 06-18-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typoroonie
Old 06-18-2014, 11:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gforce!
I do the same as you guys. Roll it up in those elastic straps and drop it. Specifically because I was in the OPs shoes. In the rain. Lol
You can do that? Dang! Much better idea!

I have to either remove it or roll it up because I stuck on one of those fresnel back up lens aids since I don't have a back up camera.

Whoa. I grow old I grow old. I wear the bottoms of my cuffs and my rear window rolled.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen those elastic straps leave nasty scuffs in windows. Try leaving them holding just the tailgate bar ends, if possible.

I've found it easier to start the soft top zipper with the tailgate bar removed.

Also, don't push the starting pin too far into the pull tab. As mentioned, it's a two-way zipper so it doesn't have the box at the bottom to prevent over insertion. If you jam the tab in as far as you can you start out misaligned and it only makes it harder to turn the corners.

Look at the marriage of the teeth where they first come together. Are they perfectly lined up from both halves?

Retry starting the insertion until you get it perfect. Then use a Sharpie (yellow or silver, etc) to draw a line straight across both zipper tape halves 2-3 inches above the ends. That'll be your reference for perfect starting alignment in the future. You'll know by matching the line that you've inserted far enough to start zipping.

Quick Reply: Damn zipper