Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

damage from lugging the engine?

Old 11-29-2014, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damage from lugging the engine?

so i was telling my nephew who is learning to drive a stick not to lug the engine, by "lugging" i mean driving in very low rpms. when he asked me what it would damage i had no idea. so what would or could be damaged? thx
Old 11-29-2014, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about "damage", but I had some pretty bad carbon buildup when I tried to "baby" the engine. This engine likes to rev!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themoneyshot
so i was telling my nephew who is learning to drive a stick not to lug the engine, by "lugging" i mean driving in very low rpms. when he asked me what it would damage i had no idea. so what would or could be damaged? thx
Well back in the day when engines were carburatored it would cause engine to load up with fuel.
When lugged, also hard on tranny main shaft and bearings . Now days not so much fuel injection
And all...lol.....
Old 11-30-2014, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

low RPMS in and of itself is perfectly fine.. as long as he isnt trying to work the engine hard by flooring it in 6th gear just to keep a speed up a hill or such... you can get very high cylinder temperatures doing that.. esp if the gas is bad and you ping...

but light throttle low RPMs is perfectly fine and at light throttle give you better MPG, however you will get worse MPG if you are working the engine too hard at low RPMs..

my rule of thumb is if I have to keep the pedal down anymore than 50% to maintain a speed consistently I downshift
-Christopher
Old 12-01-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My understanding-- and maybe a way to illustrate. Try riding a bicycle shifted into its highest gear up a steep hill. You really have to push and work really hard at it. All the extra stress and strain you're putting on your legs just to get the wheels to move is the connecting rods, valvetrain in the engine. Shift to a much lower gear and things get much easier, doesn't feel like you are going to break the cranks off or the chain's going to snap going up the hill. It's the same power applied over much more movement, over the same distance.

Lugging also isn't circulating oil or water in the engine, or hydraulic fluid in an automatic transmission as fast, so if you're climbing a grade, especially if you're towing, you don't want to lug the engine. Keep it in its power band, keep the juices moving, keep things light and revvy
Old 12-01-2014, 01:48 PM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
My understanding-- and maybe a way to illustrate. Try riding a bicycle shifted into its highest gear up a steep hill. You really have to push and work really hard at it. All the extra stress and strain you're putting on your legs just to get the wheels to move is the connecting rods, valvetrain in the engine. Shift to a much lower gear and things get much easier, doesn't feel like you are going to break the cranks off or the chain's going to snap going up the hill. It's the same power applied over much more movement, over the same distance.

Lugging also isn't circulating oil or water in the engine, or hydraulic fluid in an automatic transmission as fast, so if you're climbing a grade, especially if you're towing, you don't want to lug the engine. Keep it in its power band, keep the juices moving, keep things light and revvy
Good solid common sensical reasoning. You obviously didn't go to Harvard. ;-)

Quick Reply: damage from lugging the engine?