Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cylinder head replace 2018 JKU

Old 08-14-2018, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder head replace 2018 JKU

Hi all, new member and 1st time jeep owner. Bought a new 2018 JKU Freedom edition in late June 2018, and after 2240 miles I got my first CEL, p0306 cylinder 6 misfire, also had hard start, white lingering smoke that smelled like antifreeze, and gurgling sound from passenger side behind dash. Took it in under warranty and dealer found loose connection at coil pack on cyl 6. When we picked it up, we started it up and it smoked for about 15-30 seconds and thought nothing more of it but took a video just in case. Drove it home ( about 2 miles). About 2 hours later started it up and drive about 300ft and CEL came back on. Took it back to dealer (same day)and showed them the video I took that morning of the smoking and they gave us a JL loaner to drive till they figured it out. The dealer contacted (2days later) us today, and let us know they are replacing left head for cyl 2,4,6. I’ll update later when I get the jeep back.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Former Member

It has to be disheartening knowing this about your new Jeep. What is exactly wrong with the head? Warped, cracked, then you have to also wonder about the mating surface on the block.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ozarkwoods
It has to be disheartening knowing this about your new Jeep. What is exactly wrong with the head? Warped, cracked, then you have to also wonder about the mating surface on the block.
It really is, I wasn’t expecting this when we got it. I’ll find out soon about the head, I’m gonna call the dealer up this afternoon and get an update and ask what was wrong with it.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:30 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Dang, that is a rough start to the jeep experience for you! Quite frustrating I'm sure, as one of the nice perks of buying new is peace of mind, knowing everything that has been done (or not been done) to it, and knowing it should be a long time before you have to do anything to it. Sorry to hear that.

What do you think of the JL compared to your JK since you're getting a few days to drive it around (longer than a little look-see test drive)?
Old 08-14-2018, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Well. To be honest, I’m really digging the JL. I like the remote start (it’s hot here in Florida). I test drove a JL Sahara and the JK we ended up buying, and I really didn’t like the steering on the JL sahara and overall, the JK we bought felt great all around. Now. The loaner JL Sport unlimited feels way different than the JL Sahara we test drove, Steering is great, acceleration is great( we have the 3.21 gears vs the 3.45’s in the JL) , fuel economy is way better than the jk. But the JL has more of a car feel, I really don’t feel like I’m in a Jeep. I still prefer the JK, and my wife does as well ( it’s her jeep). The JK we got also came with many more upgrades than the JL sport, upgraded AEV front and rear bumpers, 430 navigation head unit, rock slides, Sahara wheels and all terrain tires, leather trimmed seats. Also I hate when the engine turns off at a stop on the JL, I sometimes forget to turn it off.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

So.... here’s the update. Dealer called me this afternoon and let me know that they are not replacing the head. Instead they are replacing the whole motor. They looked deeper into the motor and found finger nail deep scorch mark in the actual cylinder and hole in the head gasket where antifreeze was getting into the motor. I’ll keep yaw updated.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:08 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

That's probably the most peace of mind you can get out of the situation. Fresh start.

Quick Reply: Cylinder head replace 2018 JKU