Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cruise Control - possible to re-program?

Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cruise Control - possible to re-program?

hi guys,

being in South Africa I have the privilege to do a lot of off-roading especially in our game parks driving around looking for wildlife. The top speed one gets to is around 15 miles per hour but usually one tends to cruise around 10 miles an hour in search of wild life in some of the dense bush. One also tend to use low range as some of the terrain is fairly rough.

ALso being in a wheelchair currently means I have hand controls installed on my JK. On the highway the cruizecontrol works the charm but will only activate at around 30 miles an hour. which means when off road, I can't use the cruize control because of the slow speeds. This implies I have to stop each time I want to take a sip of my soda while driving...(one hand on the steering wheel and other on my hand accelerator)

Any idea if one could reprogram the speed control to activate at a slower speed? Even through a dealership?

Thnx
Old 08-17-2009, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually going that slow I don't give the Jeep any gas. It pretty much continues moving at idle. This is with a manual trans.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the old days, the cruise control monitored speed via a magnet on the drive shaft. So to enable the cruise to work at slow speeds, we would attach a second magnet on the opposite side of the driveshaft. That doubled the signals to the cruise box and reduced it's minimum operating speed by half.
Now, they use sensors in the transmission. You could find a programmer that likes to hack OEM stuff, but no one is offering any over the counter options. Your best bet would be to contact companies that offer performance programming equipment. Ask them to do a custom program for you and offer to buy their programming kit. Also, play up the handicap part. Tell them how difficult it is with your disabilities to drive without cruise. Another option is to contact local race teams and talk to their programmers/hackers and work out a deal.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control - possible to re-program?