Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

CRD Question

Old 09-14-2011, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is true you guys have big gallons over there.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eurojeep
Can anyone with a pre 2010 CRD tell me if they have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) installed as standard or is it only an addition to the 2010/11 for reducing emmissions. I have a 2008 and I don't think it has one. Or at least I hope it doesn't as they are a pita.
In most European countries, the DPF was an option for the MY2007, for MY08 was 'std' but there were many unsold vehicles from the previous year that were sold as "2008" but without (since they were manufactured "earlier").
Check for a large canister close to the engine in the exhaust line, right after the cat (the entire assy looks like two "canisters" one after the other). Models without a DPF have a straight pipe instead after the cat.

This said, I have run my JK for 14K kms now without a trouble. I've also logged over 90K kms on company vehicles with FAP (different technology, same function) and only once I had a "disabling" failure.
I am still troubled by this system and not sure if I want to keep it in the Wrangler, but not because of fearing failure, but because I am not sure the breaking down of dust particles is actually worse: studies in Italy have demonstrated while anti-particulate filters are effective in containing and lowering PM10, the breaking down produced by the burning in the filters themselves might generate additional PM2.5 particles, virtually undetectable and potentially more harmful to humans.
Need to find more time to read on the matter ....
Old 09-14-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrangler07

Keep in mind that that's UK gallons, tho. 35mpg (UK) would be roughly 30mpg (US).
Still, we are lucky to get 22 MPG stock

The tree huggers are anti diesel here, they are very strict here in colorado unless its a farm truck or commercial truck.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by leolito
In most European countries, the DPF was an option for the MY2007, for MY08 was 'std' but there were many unsold vehicles from the previous year that were sold as "2008" but without (since they were manufactured "earlier").
Check for a large canister close to the engine in the exhaust line, right after the cat (the entire assy looks like two "canisters" one after the other). Models without a DPF have a straight pipe instead after the cat.

This said, I have run my JK for 14K kms now without a trouble. I've also logged over 90K kms on company vehicles with FAP (different technology, same function) and only once I had a "disabling" failure.
I am still troubled by this system and not sure if I want to keep it in the Wrangler, but not because of fearing failure, but because I am not sure the breaking down of dust particles is actually worse: studies in Italy have demonstrated while anti-particulate filters are effective in containing and lowering PM10, the breaking down produced by the burning in the filters themselves might generate additional PM2.5 particles, virtually undetectable and potentially more harmful to humans.
Need to find more time to read on the matter ....
Thanks for the information it is exactly what I needed, I wil check this morning and as my JK was actually built in 2007 and sold as a 2008 it may well not have the DPF.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Eurojeep

Thanks for the information it is exactly what I needed, I wil check this morning and as my JK was actually built in 2007 and sold as a 2008 it may well not have the DPF.
Mine is also a 2007 built and sold as a 2008 and mine does not have a DPF filter.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where I am in Australia they only introduced the DPF for MY2011 CRD JKs (and they have caused nothing but trouble for many owners) after we adopted the latest Euro emmissions standards.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKlad
Where I am in Australia they only introduced the DPF for MY2011 CRD JKs (and they have caused nothing but trouble for many owners) after we adopted the latest Euro emmissions standards.
I've got a DPF in my 2009 CRD in OZ
Old 11-28-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Is it possible to eliminate the DPF???

Quick Reply: CRD Question